Chapter 10

Anthony pulled into her driveway right on time. He opened the car door and walked her up to the doorstep, but the door opened before they could say―or do―anything.

"Charlotte, come inside. I want you to meet someone," her dad said. His gaze moved to Anthony and he added, "Who's this?"

Anthony stepped forward and held out his hand. "My name's Anthony Blake, sir."

"Ohh," her dad said, shaking his hand. He faced her. "Is this the same Anthony you were―?"

"Yes," she interrupted. She gave him a sharp look.

"I should be going," Anthony said. He squeezed her hand and smiled. "See ya, Charlotte. I had a great time."

"Me too."

She watched him leave, wishing her dad hadn't interrupted them.

"Come inside, Charlotte. I have something important to tell you," he said.

"Can it wait until tomorrow? It's getting late and . . ." She trailed off when she saw Julie Pratt sitting on the couch. "What's going on?"

Once the door was closed behind her, he announced, "Julie and I have been dating for a couple months now."

She didn't how to react. A part of her was thrilled for him, but the other part felt angry and betrayed. She was mad that he hadn't mentioned it sooner and at the same time she was furious that he was dating anyone at all.

Her eyes flicked between Julie and her father while she pondered what to do. They shared a look, and she clenched her fists, her body deciding for her mind.

"What about Mom?" she asked quietly.

"Your mother would want this," her dad reassured her.

"How do you know? She isn't here anymore." Her voice shook. The emotions were overwhelming.

"Be quiet. I don't want Jenna to know yet."

Charlotte unwillingly listened to him and seethed, "How could you do this to her?"

"She would want us to move on," he stated firmly. "Grow up. Julie was the one who kept me coming back here every day, so instead of throwing a fit, maybe you should be thanking her."

The statement startled Charlotte. Her fists uncurled and hung limply at her sides. "Why did she have to make you come back?" A lump formed in her throat. The thought of her father leaving her and Jenna made her sick.

Julie, who had remained silent up to that point, answered in a soothing tone, "You remind him of your mother."

She scoffed. "Well, I am her daughter."

"Charlotte," her dad pleaded softly as he reached a hand out to her. "I'm sorry."

Tears slipped down her face. "Do you even know what day it is?"

His hand dropped and her nostrils flared at his confusion. He answered simply, "It's Friday, September 23."

"How could you forget?" she breathed. "Didn't she mean anything to you?" She flew past them down the stairs into her room, using the railing to change the direction of her momentum, and searched for the letter under her pillow. Once she'd grabbed it, she hoisted herself out her window. She climbed out of the window well and bolted for the park. She scrambled to the top of the rocket ship and settled down on the side, letting her legs dangle. She dried the trails her tears had left.

Breathing heavily, she turned the envelope over. Her mom had written her name in loose cursive. She touched it gently with her fingers as another tear caressed her cheek.