Chapter 5

Jenna was at the computer, searching for information about dance, particularly ballet. She learned what pliés and pirouettes were and also taught herself the five ballet positions. She mastered the plié and the positions, but when she tried a pirouette she almost knocked over a lamp.

Jenna fell backwards onto her bed with a smile. The girls would like her after this. They had to like her.

****

Charlotte's feet were blistered, but it was worth it. The lights flashed in time with the music and when the strobes were on, the adrenaline pumped faster through her veins. Anthony had held onto her while she learned. "To keep you from hurting yourself," he said, blushing when she'd mentioned it.

Charlotte rolled out of the rink and sat down at their table. Her feet thanked her.

The DJ announced that the next song would be a couple's skate. She relaxed in her seat, basking in the relief. Anthony skated over to her and stuck out his shaking hand. "Would you like to skate with me?"

Despite the objections of her sore feet, Charlotte accepted his offered hand without a second of hesitation.

While they skated, she admired him from the corner of her eye. His feathery hair ruffled each time they passed or were passed by others. His glasses reflected the colorful lights and he had the hint of a smile on his face. Her heart fluttered at the sight of him and the feel of his hand in hers.

I hope he's not just being polite. She told herself to shut up.

"Do you want to switch hands?" she asked. "Mine's really sweaty. I mean you probably already knew that 'cause you're holding it and stuff, but . . ." She let herself trail off and cringed. 

Anthony laughed. "Nah, it's good."

After that, the conversation became a blur. She babbled as she tended to do when she was nervous, and he listened intently, sometimes able to interject his own comments.

When the song ended, Charlotte escaped into the bathroom to release the stupid grin she'd been fighting. Another girl skated in and she pretended she was examining herself in the mirror.

"You've been standing there a while."

Startled, she jumped and fell on her butt. She struggled to her feet again. How she hadn't seen Becca in the mirror, she didn't have a clue. Maybe she really was a vampire. . . .

"Yeah, I have," she agreed, wiping off her pants.

Becca stared at her and Charlotte shifted under the unwavering attention. The fact that they were the only girls in their group and they had carried out one conversation hit her square in the face. She wished there was something she could do. She smiled at a new idea.

"Do you want to spend the night at my house after this?"

Becca eyed her cagily. "Like a sleepover?"

Charlotte nodded.

"Are we twelve?"

Charlotte shifted her weight. "I thought it would be a good chance for us to bond, you know?"

Becca stared at her feet. "I've never been to one before."

"Never?" she asked, incredulous. "Well now you have to come."

Her exasperation was replaced by an expression of only mild irritation. "Okay."

They skated out of the bathroom together and onto the rink. Becca didn't say anything. Charlotte didn't know what to say. The silence only lengthened between them, and Charlotte regretted inviting a girl she'd spoken to once over to her house.

It won't be that bad, will it?

Charlotte glanced at the quiet girl skating beside her. "So you've never been to a sleepover before?"

"No."

"How?"

Becca tilted her head. "I was never invited."

It's gonna be a long night.

***********

i freaking love the 1975

that's all