Clear

"Say something." Mia pleaded glancing at me before focusing back on the road.

I had nothing to say. There was nothing to say. I had clearly told her in the car the day after we left our house there would be no distractions. We would only focus on getting out of here. She promised me. Frankly I didn't want to accept the fact that she couldn't control her feeling for Dan. Things could go terribly wrong.

The past ten minutes were complete torture. Mia had been explaining to me how her and Dan had gotten to know each other, and how he's so sweet and nice. I wasn't buying any of it. I can't. I won't. I refuse too.

"I told him to back off. You can't be involved with him Mia. Not now. When we get to the rescue groups and we're safe then do whatever you want, but I just want you to concentrate on getting out of here. Things can go wrong, and he could die out there. I want you to be safe." I talked for the first time in ten minutes. I looked out the window refusing to look at her. If she's feeling pain I really don't want to feel guilty. I got to do what's necessary to keep her safe.

"So that's why he didn't come with us. Listen Macy I just..." She stopped to take in a breath and kept going.

"He calms me down. We're always so strict with ourselves and always making sure everything is ok. He's like that too, but he jokes around and makes me laugh a little. I need that." She exhaled a breath after she finished.

How can words hurt so much? I know I'm strict and I know I'm uptight right now, but I just do it because I don't want anything to happen to her. I used to make her laugh too. We would laugh all the time. Ok now this is just plain out jealousy. Jealously that I'm not enough.

"Mia you're everything I've got right now. I don't care that you like him and I don't care that he likes you. I just want you to know what we have to do. If you want to get involved go ahead, but if something happens to him I won't turn back. You are my only priority." I looked at the side of her face and I knew she understood why I was doing this. I also know that she's stubborn so she'll get involved with him either way. Damn you Dan.

"Alright. I won't back off completely though." Mia said smirking into the distance. Ah, there's the famous Mia. I chuckled and looked in the back window. I couldn't see the others too clearly but I could see them still. Lucy was driving and Caleb was asleep. Dan and Gretchen were talking in the backseat, and I could see the glances Dan would make towards our car. I guess I have to tolerate this for now.

It's been two hours since we left the ghost town and now we were in the middle of nowhere. No trees, no bushes and no cars. It was just the road and short grass for miles. Arkansas is weird. The towns were so far apart. I haven't even seen a school around here. I was about to fall asleep when I heard Mia yawn next to me swerving the car a bit.

"We should stop and take a break. Pull over." I said as she was already stopping the car on the side of the road and turned the car off.

"I'll be in the roof if you need me. Sleep in the passenger seat. I'll drive after you wake up." I said getting out of the car and left the passenger door open for her. Once Lucy saw me walking towards her car she opened the door and stepped outside with me.

"I'm not sleeping." Lucy said while the passenger door of her car opened.

"Well I am. I'm going in the back seat." Caleb stated as he opened the back door and laid back on the seats closing the door with his foot. Wasn't Gretchen there? And Dan?

"I'm going to drive next mom. You should get some rest." Gretchen said while sitting on the back of the car. Gretchen driving? Not a good idea, but looking back at Lucy I noticed her blue eyes were now fighting to stay open. I can't say anything. She needs her sleep.

"Isn't Caleb going to drive?" Dan asked behind me. He unfortunately wasn't just behind me. He was leaning on the side of my car. Dangerously close to the drivers door. He's going to get in the car isn't he?

"No, I am. He's tired and I'm not so might as well." Gretchen said while pushing her mom aside and sat in the drivers seat; closing the door while purposely hitting me with it. Ok then. Why was Caleb even tired? He was sleeping the whole time. He's just lazy.

"Ok well Lucy get some sleep and don't worry I'll be staying watch on the top of my car so if anything happens we'll be ready." I said looking at Lucy then turning around to get Mia's gun from the drivers door compartment.

I walked passed Dan and opened the drivers door. Mia had her head resting on the window with her legs propped up on the seat. I smiled and took the gun turning around leaving the door open for Dan. He has nowhere else to sleep so might as well. Plus it'll make me get used to it.

I climbed up to the roof of the car and just laid on my back. My limbs were spread out making me look like I was about to make a snow angel. Now that I think about it, I've never even made one before. I've never seen stars like these also. The only advantage of the power going out almost everywhere was the stars. They weren't many, but they were enough for me. Being a military baby, moving around was like second nature. I actually loved it a lot; the different places, people, languages, food and the culture. Everything so different and nice.

I remember that once I was about thirteen years old, every time we would move I would engulf the culture of where we were going and once we got there it was like I was raised there. I would pick a name that was common to the place and introduced myself with it. It was fun. Then when my parents were inactive from the military we moved to Tennessee since our grandparents were there. That was when I was sixteen.

The more I think about it the more it pains me. The fact that I celebrated my sixteenth birthday with my family, and Mia would spend it trying to stay alive.