Chapter 17 - Start

Tsukishima's POV

"Let's make this quick," the captain told the team as we huddled up shortly before the practice match began. The game started and everyone had one goal in mind and that was to make it to Akira's game.

"Oh, the cats called me earlier," Sugawara-san said as we walked to the court. "They're having a practice match in the area today against Oikawa and his team and they'll be coming over here if they finish up quick."

"What time did they start?" Tanaka asked.

"A little earlier today so they might be finished by the time we're done," he answered.

"Alright," Daichi-san said. "Let's go."

We started the practice match and everyone was fired up.

We sped through the first set and gathered around as we took a short break. Shimizu-san held out her phone to us. Akira was on.

"We have a little problem," she said.

"What's going on?" Daichi-san asked.

"They moved the tournament to Tokyo, we're on our way right now. I guess you guys won't be able to watch after all."

"WHAT?!" everyone on the team yelled.

"Aki-chan, will the tournament start immediately once all the teams get there?" Sugawara-san asked while everyone else panicked.

"I think so. The teams are just boarding the buses right now," she answered.

"Do you think we can still make it?" Hinata asked. I raised my hand and everyone looked at me expectantly.

"What do you have in mind?" Tanaka-san asked.

"The Nekoma team is close by," I said. "If they finish up quickly, we could catch a ride with them. I'm sure the bus they use is spacious enough to fit two teams anyways. And we won't be bringing anything else with us."

"I'll call Kenma right now!" Hinata said, running to his bag. Take-sensei and coach spoke to the other team for a quick while, asking for some more time and they gladly agreed, letting their team rest a bit more. Hinata came running back with a wide smile.

"He said we could hitch a ride!" he said.

"That's great!" Aki-chan said. "You guys could still make it to out match!"

Everyone let out a sigh of relief and we went back to the practice match. The second set ended quickly since everyone was itching to get it over with. We quickly cleaned up with the other team's help, understanding our rush. Apparently their coach was a fan of the interschool badminton matches as well.

"Oi! Hurry up!" Kuro-san yelled, bursting through the gym doors. "The bus is right outside!"

We said our goodbye and thanks to the other team and we all left the gym, boarding our own buses. I was right, the bus had just enough space for both teams. We left for Tokyo immediately.

"I heard Oikawa and his minions are having a practice match in Tokyo as well," Kuro-san told us. "He called, asking if our teams could have a quick match when we get back but I told him about the tournament and he said he wanted to come watch as well."

"You'll be watching the tournament with us?" I asked.

"We've been wanting to since rumors of a monster ran through our school," he said. "After Karasuno's volleyball team got some fame through the sports community, news of your badminton club's revival sparked some interest."

"People are thinking that something interesting might happen again," Kenma followed. "After you guys made a huge comeback, everyone else is itching to see what new talent is in your badminton team."

"You won't be disappointed!" Tanaka-san suddenly yelled.

"Yeah! Aki's gonna blow you away!" Noya-san followed.

"Shouldn't you be worried?" Sugawara-san asked them. "A bunch of other people are going to see Aki-chan."

"OH NO!" they yelled.

"No doubt some guys are going to be making some comments on her figure," Yachi said, letting out a small sigh."Poor Aki-chan. I hope she doesn't wear the same kind of clothes she wears during practice."

A lump formed in my throat. All those people staring at a tiny girl. Let's hope she doesn't have stage fright.

Akira's POV

I was seated on one of the benches out by the parking lot, trying to get some air while the rest of the team was watching the first matches.

This is really it.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a nervous wreck. I just learned the sport about a month ago and now I'm competing in a tournament. I have no idea how things are going to go and right now all I'm praying for is that I don't screw up.

I heard some loud honks and looked up to see two buses pulling up in front of me.

"You're here!" I yelled, running to the buses as the Karasuno team got off of the first bus. Tsukishima showed me a small smile and I gave him a quick hug.

"We promised you we'd make it," Daichi-san said with a wide smile. "Didn't trust us enough?"

"Of course I did," I said, letting out a small laugh. "I'm just glad to see you all here. And by you all, I mean you and uhh... whoever those other people are."

"Oh, let me introduce you," Hinata said, grabbing me by the wrist and taking me to the two teams coming down from the buses. There was a team in red and black and another team in white and turquoise. I was introduced to the captains of Seijo and Nekoma's volleyball clubs and they introduced me to the rest of their teams.

"Must be a lot of names to remember, huh?" Nekoma's captain, Kuro-san, said to me with a smirk. "I heard a lot about you... Well, I heard some stuff about you."

"Stuff?" I asked.

"Lots of people are looking forward to watching you and your team play," Oikawa-san said with a wide smile. "By the way, are you dating someone right now?"

"N-no," I said, taken aback by the weird question.

"Oi, don't make a move on her!" Noya-san said, rushing in between us along with Tanaka-san. "That's Tsukishima's girl!"

"Oh, you mean Glasses?" Oikawa-san asked. He then showed a pout. "That's a shame. She's totally my type!"

"Don't get cocky," Iwaizumi-san said, hitting him on the elbow. "No girl with the right mind would date you."

"But lots of girls want to date me-"

"Yeah but not her."

"How would you know?!"

"Trust him on this one," Kuro-san said, letting out a small laugh before facing me. "So what time does your match start?"

"AKI-CHAN!" someone yelled. I saw Jiro running after me.

"I guess it's starting soon enough," I said.

Holy crap.

~_~_~

Hey guys! Sorry this chapter took a while to get published, I got kind of busy with moving :) Hope you guys enjoy! Shoutout to CharlenePham!

-Pikaroo