Chapter 23

A/N: okay guys so I'm back on officially! Volleyball is over and I'm begging to have free time so that means updates! I will be finishing this book within a few more chapters and with all of this time away from you beautiful readers, I have thought up lots of story ideas! I will be starting a book to go along with the fall and winter season hopefully today. I love you all and great thanks to those of you who stayed with me even though I had to take a vacation. This is for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The coughing stopped and I all could do is stand there on stage, frozen. My hand lost grip of the microphone and it fell to the black floor with the most hair raising technical screech that boomed out of the speakers. The crowd groaned in displeasure as several people shouted at me trying to get me to respond to the cries of help coming from Alexis, who was backstage.

I'm taken out of this trance by Louis who shook my shoulder. I turn to him and say; barely audible, but just loud enough for only Lou to hear it.

"Call 9-1-1"

I dash to the backstage area, my toes numb from the dead silence from the stadium. I find Alexis collapsed on the floor with Carter cradled in her arms as she rocked back and forth trying to get her to open her eyes. Paul is there too, on the phone, calling for help I assume.

"What the hell happened?" I say, tears staining my rosy cheeks. Alexis looks up at me with bloodshot eyes and spits it out as if she'd been holding it in for years. "We were about to come out and she started breathing harder and harder until the coughing started. She coughed and coughed until her breath hitched. That's when it stopped and she quit breathing." Soon, Alexis too, started coughing on her tears and I sat down with her on the floor to calm her down, even though my heart was being ripped to shreds with every second of stillness.

The ambulance was soon at the arena and was doing quick tests on Carter before they put her on the stretcher. Alexis and I followed as they rushed to the truck to take her to the hospital. But, a strong arm stopped me. Simon.

"Where do you think you're going? She will be fine; you have to finish the show, Harry. This is your only chance. You don't stay, your upcoming career will be ruined." I shook my head. "So be it, Simon. She could possibly die. Tell the boys the show must go on without me." Quickly hopping in the back of the ambulance, I made sure that Simon couldn't say another word as the doors were shut.

The ride to the hospital felt like hours, but in reality it was a good five minutes. On the way they hooked our daughter up to several different tubes and monitors, along with something to help her breath. With Alexis bundled up next to me, we stepped out of the vehicle in to the cold December weather nipping at our ears and noses.

The most agonizing part of it all was that we had to stay in the waiting room while our daughter is unconscious and in the hands of several strangers.

Hours had past and I was beginning to bite at my nails until they recoiled to the point of bleeding. This was pure torture. I was on the edge of insanity when they finally called for us. We stood in unison, hand in hand and waited for the nurse to inform us on Carter's health. The boys had finished the show and were on their way here.

"I have good news and bad news. Good news is, she is awake and you may take her home as soon as you'd like to. Bad news is we have diagnosed her with asthma. Now, Mr. and Mrs. Styles, this isn't going to alter your life, you will just have to be careful with her. No excessive exercising and always have her inhaler. On that note, we will be prescribing her with one right away. And we can get it to you when you arrive in Manchester tomorrow." The nurse smiled but I gave her an unintentional sour look in response due to the stress this all has brought on me.

Our daughter has asthma.

Bloodshot eyes, stuffy noses, cold expression, all can describe the two of us right now. I walk with Alexis burrowing under the warmth of my arm. As we enter Carter's recovering room, she is wide awake and smiling. She is back in one of those hospital cribs like she was when she was born and was playing with a stuffed teddy bear.

Alexis reaches down and lifts her from the confinements of the white metal crib and hugs her tightly against her chest. "Let's go, love. The boys are here." I said, checking a text from Zayn. We stood in the elevator that took us to the ground level and exited to find Niall standing at the automated doors with one of Carter's little jackets in his hands.

I smiled and greeted him, making sure to thank him for thinking of Carter. With our daughter all bundled up in her pink jacket, we left the hospital and hopped on the tour bus. We were greeted by the whole band...

Along with Simon.