chapter 10

After I got out of the clinic, I stood outside of the office building and thought how I was going to get home. With the stress of wondering if the baby was still alive finally lifted off of my shoulders, all I had to think about now is what Gemma will have to say about it. I can only hope for the best, seeing the way she treats me as of right now.

I watched dozens of autos drive past me as I considered each of them to take me home. I looked down at my stomach, the baby bump now reminding me of Gemma, just as the thought had left my mind.

I looked around and noticed a bus stop. My eyes lit up as a bus arrived at the benches. I jumped at the chance and ran as fast as my huge belly would let me. A smile cracked from my lips as I was almost there. I waved my arms in every which way, trying to get the driver's attention so he wouldn't leave me. Unfortunately, the driver never did see me, nor did he even look for anyone else that wanted a ride other than the few people at the bench.

My smile soon dropped as the red bus drove away. My next hope was to see when the following bus would arrive, only to see that that ignorant bus was the last of the day. Being at the clinic, I was a good ten miles away from home, which was not an option.

Fresh out of luck, I sat down and threw my purse at the concrete floor in frustration. I looked up into the sky and noticed the dark clouds swelling around the small town. A clap of thunder was released from the sky and almost instantly, the rain began to fall. "Great." I say aloud.

Just as I was about the give up, a car pulled up to the bus stop. Not knowing who it was, I look around searching for an escape route in case it was some rapist or something. The tinted window on the passenger side slowly rolled down, revealing a smiling boy. "Zayn?" I stood up, grabbing my bag. "Need a ride?" I smiled back at him and opened the door of the black Land Rover he was driving and sat down.

"How'd you know I would be here?"

There was no answer. Instead, he sped off and turned a sharp corner. Feeling a bit unsecure, I grasped onto my seatbelt. I watched the area around the car pass by quickly. I soon notice that we've past straight by the street the goes to our house. "Zayn?" I repeat. "Yes, love?" I looked at him and watched as his eye traveled from the accelerating speedometer, to the road, and then over to me. "We've passed the house. Where are we going?" I ask, beginning to feel a bit worried as to what he had on his mind. "Calm down, Lex. I have to make a stop at the drug store. We will then go home." I nod quietly, still feeling suspicious about what Zayn was thinking.

We pull up to the local Walgreens and Zayn immediately got out and slammed the door. I sit in silence, staring out of the window. The rain poured down hard on the small town we live in; lightning illuminating the sky, thunder following shortly.

I soon see Zayn run out of the store, using his coat to shelter his perfect coarse black hair from the falling rain. He hopped in the driver's seat and tossed the shopping bag in the back seat, not letting me see what he purchased. "What'cha buy?" I say out of curiosity. Shaking his head, he said it was nothing.

...That's odd...

He pulled out, now driving carefully; a big change from how he was driving before. To cut out the silence there was in the car, I asked about Gemma. "Is Gemma home yet?" he nodded, keeping his eyes on the road. "Yeah. She made quite the entrance screaming at Harry about something." Crap. That means that the whole house knows what she was screaming about. "Do you know what she said?" my fingers wresting with each other in my lap as I wait for him to respond.

"No, she pushed him outside and Anne wouldn't let anyone listen in." Letting out a breath of relief, I look at him, studying his strong jaw line and focused amber eyes. The slight hint of stubble was sort of sexy with the grim look on his face. It was more of a pout; like the kind that a model would give the photographer to look utterly sexy. It was working for him. He could definitely pull it off.

We were soon home and the rain was now beating the car like it was cake batter in a mixer. Zayn got out of the car with his plastic grocery bag close by his side. I followed, slamming the car door and running towards the front door.

I soon got the door to unlock and I busted inside, thankful for the dry house. My smile soon dropped when my eyes met with Gemma's. Hers were blackened with hatred. I turned around and shooed Zayn away. He ran upstairs with his bag and slammed his bedroom door.

My glare soon returned to the couch where Gemma, Anne, and Harry sat. "You bitch. I cannot believe you slept with my brother...AGAIN. You're a slut." This not only made my heart stop, but it earned Gemma a stared from both Harry and Anne. "Gemma. I'm sor-" I began to apologize, but she cut me off. "Shut up. I don't care to hear your help cry. As a matter of fact, go on. Have your relations with Harry. I don't care, because I'm old enough to leave, so good bye. Congrats, Alexis. Have a good life with MY family." She got up and left the room, going upstairs to get her stuff, I assume. All I could do was hang my jaw. I couldn't produce any sound. It's all my fault. She's leaving because of me.

Anne got up and chased after her. I looked at Harry, whose broken expression only made me feel worse. "Harry, I'm so sorry. It all my fault." I looked at my feet, a tear falling down my cheek. "No, Lexi. It is her choice. With as much as it hurts to see her go, it's her decision. I choose you over her. If she doesn't like you, then it's her loss. It's not your fault." He stood up and hugged me. I wrapped my arms tightly around his waist and let his tears fall on me. I rub my hand around his back as Gemma comes tearing down the stairs with a suitcase messily stuffed with her items. "I will be back tomorrow to get the rest of it. I'm sorry, Harry." She simply left after that, leaving the house completely silent. The only thing merely audible was Harry's soft sobs.

~~

After last night's rough fight with Gemma, the boys went out the go bowling and Anne was out doing some clothes shopping, leaving me home alone. I sat on the couch, trying to think of something to do with my time, since it is EXTREMELY rare for me to be left completely alone.

I GOT IT!

I remembered Zayn being so secretive about what he had bought at the pharmacy last night. Time to snoop. I smiled to myself before jumping off the couch and running up the stairs to Zayn's hiding place...in his hair products bag. Too easy.

I open the large duffel bag, to find that it wasn't there.

I had searched in every single place I could, his bags, in the closet, beneath the bed, in the drawers. It was nowhere in sight. It was then I noticed a white object hidden between a box of shoes. BINGO. I grab it and dump it out on the nearest bed. I stare at the contents of the bag as my jaw dropped to the floor.

Why does he need Condoms?!