Chapter 4

Reaching Paddock 11 didn't really take long, I had a conversation with Owen while we drove to that location. Once we saw the paddock, the car stopped. Owen had worn a different outfit. Claire thought my outfit was okay, but I could tell she somewhat disapproves my outfit. Not very ladylike as some girls at my old school would tell me. But I didn't really care. We exited out of the vehicle. "The construction crew is on break for now, so we won't have to worry about them." Claire said. I looked at the paddock, and already did I feel a bit uneasy about it. Owen must have felt the same, because we both glanced at each other. Owen shrugged while shaking his head before we walked to the stairs that lead to the observation . "We've been pre-booking tickets for months. The park needs a new attraction every few years in order to reinvigorate the public's interest. Kind of like the space program." Claire said while we walked up the stairs, "Corporate felt genetic modification would up the "wow" factor." Owen narrowed his eyes and rolled them, he wasn't really amused, "They're dinosaurs. "Wow" enough." Claire gave us a smirk, "Not according to our focus groups. The Indominus rex makes us relevant again." Owen and I grinned. I snickered a bit, "The Indominus rex!" Claire sighed and looked to us as we stopped by the door, "We needed something scary and easy to pronounce. You should hear a four year old try to say "Archaeornithomimus." Claire walked inside. Owen gave a small frown, "You should hear you try to say it..." We walked inside the observation room, I looked out from the glass and looked around the inside paddock. I looked over to see a supervisor who was munching away with a sandwich. I rolled my eyes and looked back out, "What's this thing made of...?" "The base genome is a T. rex, the rest is... classified." Claire said looking to Owen and I. We looked at her with an eyebrow raised. "You made a new dinosaur but you don't even know what it is?" Owen asked. Claire was now getting annoyed with us asking her these questions, "The lab delivers us new assets and we show them to public." Claire looked to the supervisor, "Nick, can we drop a steer, please?" Nick became annoyed and pressed a button. "How long has the animal been in here?" I asked. "All its life." Claire said while looking out the paddock. "Never seen anything outside of these walls?" Owen asked not looking to Claire. "We can't exactly walk it." Claire said looking to Owen. There's a rumbling noise outside and a huge crane lowers a hunk of beef down from above. I pointed to the beef, "And you feed it with that?" Claire isn't getting it out question at all, seeming bemused and still mildly annoyed, "Is there a problem?" "Animals raised in isolation aren't always the most functional." Owen said. We looked at Claire as she looked to us, but her eyes went to Owen, "Your raptors are born in captivity..." "With siblings. They learn social skills. And I imprint on them when they're born. There's trust. The only positive relationship this animal has is with that crane." Owen said pointing to the crane that was lowering the beef. "At least she knows that means food." I mumbled. Claire rolled her eyes while continuing to look outside before saying  sarcastically, "So she needs a friend? We should schedule play dates? That sort of thing?" I looked at Claire with eyes widen, a play date? They're not children, there's nothing to be sarcastic about. "Probably not a good idea." Owen said darkly. We continued to look outside, but the animal hasn't really emerged yet, I was starting to get a bit confused and concerned. Claire looked closer and tapped the glass, "Where is it...?" I just scoffed and sarcastically said, "What, is it in the basement? Is there a downstairs? Maybe it's in the rec room." Claire ignored me and shook her head, "It was just here. We were just here." Claire goes to one of the thermal imaging consoles and activates it. It performs a scan of the jungle. After a moment it emits an annoyed buzzing sound and flashes the readout "NO THERMAL SIGNATURES DETECTED." The other computer screens arranged around the room begin beeping in alarm and they all show the same words. They're not detecting any body heat inside the paddock. The Indominus rex isn't showing up. My eyes widen. "Oh shit!" Nick said in shock. Owen walks over to a window at the far end of the room while I followed close behind. "That doesn't make any sense. These doors haven't been opened in weeks." Nick said. I looked around before I saw something shocking, "Were those claw marks always there?" Claire walked over to where I pointed and her eyes went wide, "You think it...?" Realization hits all of us and Claire begins trembling, "Oh, God!" Turning, she runs out, "She has an implant in her back! I can track it from the control room!" We watched as Claire leaves, then we turned to each other and looked back out the window. By the rear door of the paddock, we can see numerous deep scratch marks in the concrete going up very high. "I think we should go check it out." I said. Owen looked to me and nodded before looking to Nick, "We need to go check those claw marks out." Owen said. Nick nodded and we all left to the paddock. There was a door and Nick placed his hand on it. The door opened and we entered. We walked across the paddock jungle, but I had a weird feeling about it, Owen can sense it too, because we were both slowly scanning around. "Wait!" Said a voice. We looked to see a construction worker rushing up to us, "I finished my break time, I'll come with." We just nodded and walked to the other side of the paddock. A door just big enough for a T-Rex to running out stood beside where the claw marks were. Owen trailed his hands across a claw mark. Nick looked skeptical, "That wall's forty feet high. You really think she could've climbed out?" We all looked up the wall. "Depends." Owen said. "On what?" Nick asked. "What kinda dinosaur they cooked up in that lab..." I said. Suddenly a female's voice came through Nick's radio, but it came out in garbles, "...area... ...Paddock 11... ...dock 11, do you copy..." Now I know something wasn't right here, I looked around. "Yeah, what's the problem?" Nick asked in a casual tone. I suddenly saw something move up in the trees and grabbed Owen's arm, "O-Owen?!" "It's in the cage! It's in there with you!" The woman screamed.