CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

BURN IT TO ASHES

- ⚜️ -

"Remus...you don't understand; you just don't," said Diana, as she paced around the room anxiously. James and Sirius were at Quidditch practice – Diana would have hers in two days. She was still a part of the Slytherin Quidditch Team. They couldn't find another good Seeked, so they stuck to her, even though they were hesitant of her loyalties of Slytherin. "I'm becoming like him. Nothing's going to stop that."

"You're not becoming like your grandfather or your father," said Remus softly. "You're Diana. You're you and you're not becoming like her. You're different – you're kinder, sweeter, and much better than them, Di. You're not going to be mad ," he said insistently. "You're going to live a happy life and stick with us, the Marauders. Always, dammit."

"Silly, of course I'm Diana," said Diana with a roll of her eyes. "Oh, it's definitely nothing. I'm just becoming mad like my father and grandfather."

Remus sighed. "Still not losing that sarcasm, Di. But this is a serious matter, it's no time for jokes. You have to listen to me," he said with a sigh, getting up, joining her to pace around nervously, before taking a stop, standing by his bedside table as he drummed his fingers on the wood anxiously, appearing to be deep in thought.

The Gryffindor muttered some selective words under his breath (people thought that he was the most innocent and was the mother of the Marauders, but really he was the one who cursed the most, and people had to remember that he was the mastermind behind the Marauders' pranks. He just had his own way to pretend that he was innocent.) as he stopped Diana, making her sit on her bed – pacing anxiously wouldn't do any good at all.

"I'm becoming like them," said Diana. "It runs in my family, Remus."

"Give me examples, then," said Remus.

"My father," said Diana. "He kept saying 'burn them all! Burn it to ashes!'" she mimicked a person trying to claw his eyeballs off, eyes filled with panic and rage. "And he also had visions. I saw him when I was little. Mother kept me out. Locked me in my room, so that I wouldn't be able to be hurt because of him."

Remus sat down on his bed, eyebrows knitted together in worry, brown eyes no longer holding the glint of slight mischief.

"You're not becoming like them," said Remus softly, putting a hand over Diana's shoulder. "You're not like them."

"I am," whispered Diana softly. "I'm becoming mad."

There was a long moment of uncomfortable silence between the two as their eyes locked with each other's, filled with worry and anxiety. Eyebrows knitted together, lips pursed into a tight line, face pale, fingers cold. The two held hands tightly, clinging to each other like a tight rope as Diana's heart thumped like a quick allegretto; she was worried about what was to come. What was going to come was going to come, and when it did, it came.