CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

AMBITION

- ⚜️ -

IT WAS THE SECOND TERM. The five Marauders were seated at the warm Potions class, heated with fireplaces; it was January, after all, and it was winter. It was a pleasant month, but the chilliness of it wasn't a great thing. Scarves and jumpers were needed to withstand the cold.

       The lake was frozen, small patches of ice forming on the emerald glass. Snow had fallen gracefully onto the ground, covering patches of grass. The formerly straw hut was similar to a gingerbread house, and the castle was a deep contrast to the white snow. The sound of fire crackling was heard in several places, warming them up. House-elves had made hot chocolate and placed them at the Great Hall for each meal to warm them up after a fight of snow.

       Professor Slughorn had been good enough to provide some fires to heat up the class. Some classes, like Divination, didn't provide warmth for the students. Luckily for her, Diana dropped out of Divination on her sixth year.

       And they were there, seated at the dim classroom, as water boiled over their cauldrons, bubbling as they poured in the next ingredient.

       "What if I made it explode?" asked Sirius, who was James's partner.

       "Don't," said James, shaking his head. "We may be Marauders, but honestly, mate, it's our N.E.W.T.s, we have to get good scores to get a job," said James with a roll of his eyes.

       "I hate the mature Potter."

       Behind the two Gryffindors, Lily and Diana were working side by side, watching their cauldron bubble intently as Lily carefully poured out an ingredient into the potion, making sure that she did it right, her emerald eyes were squinted at the small vial. She poured the vial into the potion.

       Diana nodded at Lily as the potion turned purple; it was an experiment they made, not an original potion. An experiment to reverse beast effects.

       The beast effects had been softened based on her previous experiments. Besides that, Slughorn told them to 'be creative', and Diana's potion was a work in progress. Once she finished it, it would be brought to the Ministry of Magic for testing at once. Illegal potions were not permitted under the watch of the Ministry of Magic; they'd be banned and sued. Diana hoped that it would work.

       "It'll take years doing this. Possibly twenty," said Diana. "But I won't give up."

       Lily coughed and said, "Are you sure it'll take twenty years?"