Chapter 11: It's Not too Late

-Cole-

    I tried to open my eyes, but salt and water rushed into my vision. I squirmed violently to try and reach the surface, but I felt myself become pushed down by waves. I tried to gulp for air, but I was completely surrounded by water. I couldn't see straight and felt myself lose it.

    So this is what death felt like. Nothing mattered except for all the people that missed you. Although my lungs were icy cold and my heart was burning, I smiled at the thought of Dalton making it. He was going to be okay. I saved him before it was too late. I saved my crush, my true love. It would've been too hard to break it to Cass.

    Maybe dying gay wouldn't be so bad. I smiled and closed my eyes one last time as I watched the surface fade from my eyes. I stretched out my hand and grabbed nothing. I felt myself be lifted to the surface just so my hand could touch air one last time. I had no energy, however, to pull myself up. I just couldn't anymore.

    But that was the way it was going to end.
-Dalton-

    I didn't know how to swim, but I had to get back to the water. I didn't know how much time I had before... before it was too late. Life without Cole burned a hole through my heart. I needed to see him again and try to straighten things out. It was all my fault. If I didn't exist or if I died or never met Cole, he wouldn't be dying at the moment.

    I bawled and wailed his name while running through panicked people. My eyes darted to all around, and I couldn't find him. I was starting to get dizzy and helpless and tears formed from my eyes. I couldn't lose him, not now, not ever.

    "COLE? COLE P-PLEASE BE HE-HERE," I screamed as I ran around. I asked people on the street, but they were in their own little world. I knew that the clock was running out of time.

    I continued to push through the water. It was frigid and numbed my legs, but that didn't stop my screeches and did nothing to sooth my fear.

    After taking way too long to get to the water, I frantically looked around for anything, any signs. I just couldn't give up. I had to try. Just had to.

    "COLE? COLE? COLE PLEASE GOD PLEASE GOD COLE GOD BE HERE!!!" I screamed as I ran around the tiny beach that fed into the ocean.

    I ran up and down the waves, splashing through water to see if I could see anything. I climbed up the rock Cole threw me on just a half an hour ago and looked around. I questioned people and broke down and sobbed.

    I would never find him.

    "GOD DAMMIT! DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!" I screamed. I kicked the ground and ripped hair from my scalp. I sobbed and punched the ground and heard something crack but only felt pain throbbing from my heart.

    I was too late. He was gone.

    As I looked up to meekly look up at the ocean, I saw a little hand wave through a series of waves. I instantly knew it was Cole.

    "COLE????" I yelped so loud that my voice cracked. Not caring about anything, I ran into the water, shoving past waves and trying my hardest to swim. I traveled and kicked as hard as I could to the spot with Cole's hand. I took a deep breath and went under.

    The  rain had stopped once the wave touched, and all clouds left the sky as moonlight provided little light for me to see, but the salt did not help. I punted down as far as I could. I couldn't get rid of these memories. He did so much, and I would not live.

    I couldn't until I told the truth: that I... I....

    I loved him.

    I grabbed his hand and threw him on my back, vigorously gasping for air and traveling up to the surface. The waves started to die down, and my head and Cole's head soon popped up.

    I gulped all of the air around me and swam as hard as I could, the cold water turning burning hot and Cole getting heavier and heavier on my shoulders. I felt so relieved to find him, but felt absolutely 100% guilty for what I created.

    Soon we swam back to shore. There was so much chaos and police running around, but I found a nice area by a tree and dragged Cole there. As soon as we landed, I was tired as fuck and my lungs and head burned into hell. My fingers felt extremely of frostbite and my eyesight deceived me. But nonetheless, I felt for a pulse, praying to God that there was one.   

    At first I felt nothing, but then Cole shot up and coughed a gallon of water out. His eyes were bright red and his skin was paler than an Irish girl stuck home all winter. He looked and smelt terrible.

    But he was alive.

    I patted his back while he coughed up water and salt and grabbed the ground to support, what I supposed, was dizziness. Once his fit ended, he snapped out of his state. "W-waa..." Cole stammered.

    His eyes suddenly locked onto mine.

    Seeing him again sent bursts of emotion through me.

    "HOLY FUCKING SHIT," Cole screamed. He started to shake and back up, slamming into a tree. "O-h.. No... N-ooo... Dalton... I... I'm so...." Cole started to stammer.

    But instead I ran into his arms, shaking and crying. He held me close and ran his fingers through my hair. I held onto him tight, the anxiety and fear that I had all pouring out. No words, just an extremely long hug. I never wanted to break away.

    Cole was okay. Cole was alright. And Cole did not hate me.

    I could finally breathe again.

-Cass-

    That was truly an amazing night. So much noise was happening outside, but I didn't care for once. All that mattered was that Eben and I had the best time of our lives ever.

    Eben had to shut off his phone due to all of the noise it was making. Once we were done, I got up and looked outside. Luckily Eben lived on a hill, because when I saw the flood my heart stopped.

    "What the fucking hell..." I cursed silently.

    Eben came up next to me and softly gasped. "Oh dear.... Crap I have to check my phone."

    He then went to the kitchen and checked his phone. I continued to stare out the window and still couldn't believe what had happened. If Cole would ever find out, I would be toast. But good thing he was hanging out with the guys tonight.

    Eben suddenly came into the room with his head in his hand and moaned slightly. "What's wrong babe?" I asked as I walked over him and put an arm over his shoulder supportively.

Eben shook his head and hissed, "Cole screamed at Dalton and then Dalton ran away and now Cole ran away and now both boys are being searched for by the police. It's exploding all over social media. We can't lose both of them Cass. I'm worried as fuck right now."

I wasn't the least bit concerned. I just shrugged and spoke quietly, "It will be okay babe, it always is." And kissed him quietly.

It was our dirty secret.

Our beautiful, dirty, secret.