Chapter 3

I approached the door of my house, and already ruckus could be heard from a mile away. Swinging it open, a waft of baby diapers and toxic odour stung my nostrils.

Of course the five younger ones were to blame for the poop stench, but the rancid toxic smell...

"Watch out!" My little brother, Mylo, pushed through and I swirved around him as he scurried to the sink, "toxic waste coming through!"

Just as I thought. Mylo Morrison; the family scientist. His room would always be crowded with test tubes from who-knows-where, and once we had found a hole on the floor in the younger boys' bedroom, courtesy of him spilling some funky corrosive stuff all over.

"Cassidy!" my mom called from the living room, "is that you?! I need some help cleaning up diapers!"

"Nope," I replied as I hopped over countless toys and scribbled pizza boxes, "just Stella."

"Stella? I thought you went to your beauty pageant. Did you place?"

"No mom," I sighed, "that's Lizzy."

I ran up to my room and shut the door behind me; well, not technically my room. I shared a room with Melinda, who just turned 13, Cassidy, who's 19, Elizabeth, 18, and Jamie who's 21. But it was a pretty big room, since our parents let us have the master. So with a bunch of bunk beds and neat freaks.. what could go wrong?

I grabbed the duffle bag under Lizze and Cassidy's bunk and escaped out the room. Bracing myself to be traumitized, I creaked open the door of the older boys' room. Just pure stench. Something white and elastic hung limply on the cieling fan and I almost lost it. It was either a jock strap or a tank top, I hoped it was the latter.

"Stella?" someone called as I stepped in

It was Bradley, Cassidy's twin brother. And quite frankly, the only one in this house who seemed to notice my existence, "Brad!"

He hopped off the top bunk, a hockey stick in hand, "how's it going kiddo?"

I shrugged, "good."

He nodded idly, "so, do you need something, or do you just like hangin' in the guy's room for no reason?"

I bit down on my lip. Could Bradley be trusted? I mean, I had to tell someone where I'd be for the whole summer, right? And he could cover for me if anyone ever discovered I wasn't there with them in Omaha.

I sighed and spilled the whole plan to him. Bradley laughed.

"Stella, you always were my favorite sister, you know that?"

"So you're not going to tell mom and dad?"

"Naw, just make sure you stick with Billy, alright? I don't want my little sister getting hurt," he warned.

I nodded and he ruffled my hair. I hate when he does that.

"One more thing," I added, "I need to borrow some of your clothes. and maybe some football gear too."

"Haha, you know I don't play football. I can lend you some clothes but you're gonna have to ask Chad for some football stuff."

I bit down on my lip, "do you think he'd notice if I borrowed it for the summer?"

"Depends," he shrugged, "would he be playing football with Gramps?"

I laughed.

Brad winked and ruffled my hair once more before leaving, "see ya, kiddo. Be careful out there, alright? I don't feel like going to Texas to start up a search party."

I flashed him a smile and nodded. I grabbed Chad's football gear off his bed... including some weird plastic white thingy that looked like a pooper-scooper.

Oh well, Chad's 16. A year younger than I. So he'd be my closest size anyway.

"See you mom," I waved as I hauled the duffle bag outside

"Bye Kelsey! Be home before dinner!" she called after me as one of the babies threw a tantrum.

I rolled my eyes. Kelsey; my 12 year old sister and Anthony's twin.

It was a relief just to get out of the house. I hauled my luggage back to Leah Bromwell's house, where I planned to stay the night. Then it's off to football camp for me!