Chapter 48

"I have a plan," Leah clearly announced to Billy and I one Friday evening.

Billy lazily sat in her computer chair, scrolling idly down his news feed. I sat on her bed, painting my nails a turqouise colour. I didn't usually use nailpolish, but only in times when I was extrememly bored would I give an acception.

"If it's any better than what Stella's was a few months ago, let's hear it," Billy said sarcastically.

I shot him a look and he looked back at me, smiling humourously. Billy and I had both decided not to tell Leah about the whole thing between the two of us, at least not for now. We had all just grouped back together, and the last thing we needed was awkwardness because of one kiss.

Leah clapped in glee, "okay, so it's a way to get Cameron and Stella back together."

We looked at her, raising a brow. Although she now had a new guy, we had assumed her helping me out with her ex was kind of a tabooed subject.

"You're kidding, right?" Billy responded, eyeing her suspisciously.

She flipped her hair dubiously, "of course not, why would I be?"

There was an awkward silence.

"Ohh," she finally said as she understood our skepticism. She offered us a miniature smile, "guys don't worry! I'm completely over that! What matters is that the three amigos are all friends again."

I grinned, "Leah, as much as I'd like to hear this plan, I don't think it's such a good idea. I don't want to bother him, I really don't."

"Stella, he obviously still likes you," Billy replied, "or why else would he be acting depressed all the time?"

I shook my head, "what are you talking about?"

He shrugged, "he just doesn't seem like himself. He's quiet in class all the time now and pretty much zones out."

"Plus," Leah spoke from the corner of her bedroom while she fixed up her hair, "I heard from Kaitlin, who heard from Ashley, that Hannah apparently tried asking him out when you guys broke up."

I sat there, melancholy. Of course he would say yes. What did I mean to him that he would even think twice about me now? It hurt, so much, that he was moving on so fast. My heart literally ached, and all I wanted was for us to stop talking about him before I started crying.

"Well, then I'm happy for him," I tried to fake a grin but my mouth would not comply, "I really hurt him... and if moving on is the only thing that will heal what I damaged, then so be it."

Leah glared at me, "I didn't tell you what he said yet."

"Go on, Leah," Billy said, sounding unusually interested in a vague rumour.

"He said 'sorry, but no thank you. I have someone I can't get off my mind, and it wouldn't be fair to you.'"

I looked up at her, my eyes wide. Billy had the same look on his face.

"Strange," Billy said, "didn't he say he would date a girl to make her happy? Why would he turn her down?"

"Wait, what?" Leah's eyes popped, "he said he dates a girl only to make her happy?! What's that supposed to mean?!"

I gave him a look.

Nice going, bud.

Billy threw a hand over his mouth, offered me an apologetic look, and turned back towards the computer screen.

"Billy," Leah pressed, "tell me what you mean! Did he actually say that?! So he never actually liked me when we were dating?! Billy, answer me!"

I rolled my eyes. As much as I loved these two people, they could be undeniably dramatic at times. I placed the bottle of polish down and fanned out my nails.

Could Leah be right? Or was this rumour exactly what it was... just a rumour? I hated this feeling that welled up within me again; this feeling of false hope that made my head spin. Suddenly, this room felt too crowded and claustrophobic. I needed to clear my head. So, I leaped off the bed and found my way to Leah's terrace, taking in fresh air.