Chapter 22

My eyes widened, heart pounded out of my chest, and bile crawled up my throat... so this is it, this is how Cameron DiMarco will hate me for the rest of my life.

Shutting my eyes tight, I prepared for the worst as Cameron turned towards me, my dark hair splashed lavishly around me.

Suddenly, a cacophony erupted from the restroom doors and I saw Billy rush in, this time, being chased by Kyle Brawn who had cake smothered across his face. I gasped as Cameron spun to face them. In the blink of an eye, I swooped the wig off the floor and rapidly bundled my hair, slapping the wig on top of my head.

Thank you, Billy!

Cameron turned back towards me, shaking his head and laughing, he pointed towards them, "you're lucky I let you go,"he said.

I raised a brow, "you have no idea."

The following day, our final practise was on Friday and most of the guys were preparing to leave for the weekend. I sat back, in the spot Cameron had claimed on the bleachers. He was probably busy getting ready for the weekend anyway.

It was less sunny today. Not cold, but not unbearable like the Texas sun usually was. I had told Billy to come meet me up in the bleachers. But for some reason, I didn't feel comfortable yet to take off my wig. And it's a good thing I didn't. Because just then, I heard footsteps marching up the bleachers.

"Billy, my boy," I joked, keeping my eyes closed, "what shall we do this weekend?"

"I don't know," the strange voice responded, sarcastic, "how 'bout some fishin'?"

I raised a brow and turned towards him. None other than Cameron DiMarco.

I smiled, biting down on my lip, "don't you have a plane to catch?"

He nodded but sat down anyway, "what're you doing up here?"

I shrugged and folded my legs on the metal, leaning back, "thinking I guess."

"Hm," he nodded, "so why don't you go anywhere for the weekends? I mean, don't you have a fam--"

He stopped and caught himself, as if he wasn't sure what he was about to say would hurt me.

I smiled at his innocence, "I do. 6 brothers and 7 sisters, actually."

His brows shot up and his mouth dropped, "you're kidding!"

I shook my head.

"How.. well, wait.." he went on, trying to comprehend how anyone could survive with that many siblings.

"You get used to it," I grinned.

"So you're not going to go see them?" he asked

I took a deep breath, "it's a long story."

He nodded and sucked on his teeth, spinning a football in his large hands.

We were silent for a while. Not out of awkwardness, just to take in the day. Just to think... of nature, of life... of everything. And then, I just had to open my big mouth.

"Who is she?"

I don't know what made that slip out of my mouth.

He cocked his head to the side, confused.

"The girl you keep going to Portland for," I blushed. Shut up, Stella, stop talking! "I know you don't go there just for your mom."

He nodded and shrugged, "she's a girl. A living human being who happens to like me very much. That's all that matters."

I shook my head, biting down on my lip to keep the idiocy from spilling out anymore.

"You said you don't believe in love," I said, quoting his words, "and that you only date to make the girl happy. Cameron, that has to be the most stupid thing I've heard. You're hurting the both of you... whichever way you look at it, no one is benefiting from that relationship. You're lying to her! You don't like her at all, you just want her to happy. Who does that!?"

I threw a hand over my mouth, gazing over at his shocked silver eyes. What's wrong with me today!? Is it jealousy or anger that took over just then?

He cleared his throat and looked down at his shoes, "straight up."

I raised a brow, "what?"

"You're not afraid to say it like it is, Steve Morner. And you're right... I guess I'm just a bad person. But maybe I do like her," he looked back up at me, anger suddenly flaring in the depths of his eyes, "how do you know that I don't? You've never walked a day in my shoes."

I shook my head and flared my arms, "why would I want to? If it means deceiving people by lying to them... why would I want to do that?! That hurts, Cameron! You may think it's for the good of everyone, but it's not! You're just being greedy! And you know you can't make the whole world happy, right? Obviously it's just more than one girl that has a crush on you. So are you telling me you date them all at the same time? Just to make them happy?!"

He was taken aback, lost at words as he tried not to knock me upside the head, "dude, calm--"

"You know what," I stood, "I don't want to hear it. You're just like every other guy out there! You're shallow, you're rude, and you're conceded! And I hope you get hit by a bus!"

I stormed down the bleachers, not knowing why on earth I said that last part. In fact, not knowing why I blew up in the first place at all!

But as I locked the restroom door, slammed the stall door shut, and crowched on a toilet with my dark locks free from the wig, I had to admit that I was jealous.

Why couldn't it be me? I was the one who listened to him, who laughed with him, who could connect with him! Why couldn't I be that girl that he was with? And not just to make me happy, but because he actually wanted to. What was so wrong with me?! Why couldn't he pick me instead of some lousy girl in Portland?!

And then I looked down at the wig in my hand.