Chapter 27

"And in conclusion," Coach Henry spoke over the bleachers that evening as young men sat, attentive, but eager to go home, listening to him speak for the last time this Summer, "although the bunch of you are a load of pranksters, it was nice having you as a team. And for those who I will not see next year, I wish you best. Take care of yourselves now boys, you hear? And come by and visit sometime!" He spat black tabacco on the grass and fixed his hair piece.

Everyone each murmured their own little thanks, then hopped off the bleachers and booked it to the charter bus, heading for the bus depot or airport.

"Well, looks like this is it," I said to Billy, a huge smile on my face as I looked around one more time, "I'm gonna miss this place."

"So, was it worthwhile?" he asked, "spending your summer here instead of Omaha with gramps and gran?"

I laughed and grabbed onto his arm, "you bet it was. I got to do what I love, ya know?"

Billy shrugged his arm away from me and cleared his throat. He pointed to my wig.

"Right," I sighed, "I can't wait to get on the plane and take this whole outfit off!" I itched at my stomach, "this corset's giving me a rash and my head is burning from this wig. I don't understand how guys can live like... well, guys. Man, that had to have been the hardest thing of my life!"

Billy laughed and patted me on the back, "see, it's not so easy being a guy, now is it?"

I rolled my eyes as I grabbed my tote bag and headed for the bus, " Please, I'd like to see you walk one day in a girls' shoes."

He raised a brow, as if thinking of something clever, "I'm not too fond of heels, thank you very much."

I snickered and rubbed his head. His afro was slowly growing back, he had a little over peach fuzz by now, "look at this guy, thinks he's funny."

"What guy?" someone spoke from beside me.

"Jason! Hey, man!"

"In the flesh," he grinned, "hey it was good knowing you guys. I guess I'll see ya on the flip side. Stay cool man, k?" He patted Billy hard on the back, then thought twice before doing the same to me and just offered me a fist bump.

I smirked, "ya, stay cool."

Jason Brent ran off to the first charter bus that was already departing, thumping on the side for it to stop.

"Cheesy?"

Billy and I almost ran into Reese MacElvoy, holding his bright orange bag of cheesies in my face.

"Ehh..."

"Sure, man. Thanks!" Billy munched on it gleefully.

Reese's face lit up. That was probably the first time anyone had accepted his offer.

I rolled my eyes, smiled, and took a handful of cheesies, stuffing it in my face. Hey, it was my last time as a guy! So I might as well pig out!

We ate shamelessly.

"How's the wedgie rash coming along there, Reese?" I asked, wiping orange powder from my lips.

He rubbed his behind, "oh... it's coming."

"Yikes."

"Don't you have some cream for that or something?" Billy replied.

"Oh gross!" I dropped my bag with the others and plugged my ears, running for the door, "I did not need to hear that!"

"What? It's only natural!" I heard Reese holler.

I took a seat next to the window. In the reflection, I could see Byron Bosniac at the back giving everyone a goodbye nuggy. If it came to my turn and my wig fell off, I wouldn't give one rat's poop.

Billy plopped down beside me, "excited to go home, best friend?"

I smiled at him, picturing every one of my brother and sisters' faces, including my parents, "oh you have no clue!"

The bus pulled over at the airport first and Billy and I were the last to hop off. Everyone scavenged around for their bags, slowly.

I jumped off the bus, coach Henry stood in the middle, yelling at guys, even though camp was over. I don't know if it was the high of hapiness, or just plain insanity that made me apprehend this next move, but it happened anyway.

"Free at last, free at last! Thank God Almighty I am free at last!" I shouted and laughed, quoting Martin Luther King Jr.

And as I captured everyone's attention, I ripped off my wig and shook my long dark locks, letting them fall to my back and sprawl carelessly around my neck, freedom!

Guys gasped, yelled profanities of shock, and just plain freaked out. Billy's mouth hung open.

"IT'S A CHICK!" someone shouted.

"I KNEW IT THIS WHOLE TIME! WHAT THE--"

"HE'S A ..... SHE?!"

"I KNEW IT! LUKE, YOU OWE ME $20!"

Someone screamed histerically and I assumed it was Reese, "I shared a dorm with a female! Victory! I have to tell dad!"

Byron's face was priceless. He had a mixture of expressions scattered across his face. I laughed and strolled up to him, finally using my normal voice, "hey, don't worry about it," I said, since I figured he was probably drowning in guilt, "I forgive you for dunking my head in the toilet. We good?" I patted him on the arm, but he still looked disturbed, so I figured I'd let him sleep it off.

"STEVE!... ehh, I mean... miss?" Coach Henry also seemed confused.

"My name's Stella. Stella Morrison at your service."

"YOU HAVE... ahem, I mean sweety, are you INSANE? YOU COULD HAVE DIED OUT THERE ON THE FIELD! YOU'RE A GIRL?! HOW DID YOU EVEN-- WHEN DID YOU?!.. GAAH! YOU ARE SO.... I mean, princess... that was a very dangerous move."

I chuckled and did a little curtsee. I grabbed my bag and headed for the airport doors, "See ya boys!" I shouted and winked at them.

Billy rushed after me, avoiding the other boys' questioning looks as to why he was not shocked also.

"You're crazy, you know that?"

I laughed, dropped my luggage, and finally hugged my bestfriend for the first time in so long. And he hugged me back!

"And that's why you love me, Billy Fisher!" I replied.

He chuckled, "you got that right."