Chapter 24

The weekend came to a close and it was a whole new day, Monday!

"Just one more week!" I leaped from my top bunk and grabbed Reese, spinning him around and dancing to imaginary tunes. I was able to do this because there weren't as many guys in the dorm this early, including Cameron. I guessed since it was the last Monday of football camp, they defied all rules.

This last week was the big tournament Coach Henry had been speaking of forever. The top ranked football teams from around the state and neighbouring states would meet at Texas. And the first game against the Honeyland Hawks was today. Coach would definitely not be happy about all the lates.

Reese spun me around, faster than my legs could keep up with, "hooray! One more week, you're right Steve! This calls for a celebration!"

He ran to his bunk and grabbed the bag of cheesies from under his pillow. He sprayed them around, tossing cheesies at guys who were still half asleep or completely knocked out.

"What the-?!" someone barked. I assumed it was either Jason Brent or Byron Bosniac.

I tiptoed out of the room with my football gear in hand. And I heard Reese's mortified scream... that familiar scream... the scream of the wedgie hook. I shuddered.

"Top of the mornin' to ya, gentlemen!" Coach spat black tabacco on the grass and his thick Texan accent wrung once more through the bleachers, "today we will waste no time whatsoever. So get your butts on the field 'cause we have a game in 2 hours! Move it!"

About a hundred, or so, feet stomped down the bleachers. Cleats clanked against metal. I caught a glimpse of Cameron and my gut wrenched. That stupid feelings floated through me again. That feeling of jealousy.

Cameron either completely ignored me, or I was completely invisible the whole practise. But on the way to the game, he decided to make things uncomfortable. Before Billy had the chance, he slipped right beside me on the bus and shot me a look. He nodded and shrugged.

"What?"

Cameron held out a hand, "we cool?"

I raised a brow and gazed down at his large hand... a handshake? Is this how they solve things in the male species?

I slipped my hand into his and he gave it a firm shake, almost making my arm fly off.

"Listen," I began, "I'm really sorry about--"

"Nah, forget about it, man!" he patted me on the back twice and stood as some guy called him over, "just don't mess up at the game."

I blinked.

Billy sat down.

"So.." I asked, confused, "is that how issues are solved in the male world?"

Billy shrugged, "most of the time, yeah. Not like you girls where it's all 'gasp! she gave me a look! Girl, hold ma earrings!'" Billy chuckled and I nudged him teasingly.

We barely won our game, just by a mere 3 points; which, of course, got Coach Henry on edge and he forced us into practise once again for the rest of the day.