prologue

The pain didn't come. It was almost a normal feeling of pain to me now. The needle in my arm as I injected the drug into me. I felt a rush, a sensation-something different this time. Was it the fact that I had drank almost a whole bottle of vodka? Or the fact that I haven't injected in a few days? Probably both.

I lean back into my couch and flutter my eyes shut. The feeling started to take over me and I smirked. I loved that feeling, I lived for that feeling.

I open my eyes and get up to go finish that bottle of vodka, as I go there was a knock at my door. At this bloody hour? I stumble a bit and almost fall. "Christ." I mutter to myself. I make it too my door and finally open it.

I hadn't looked up yet but there was a puddle of water, I look up and meet a pair of dark blue eyes. "I'm locked out my apartment, I was wondering if you could pick a lock?" she mumbled. I had never seen her before, she had to be new to this complex.

"I-I can try." I try to keep my words steady as I shut my door and follow her down the hall four doors, to what I am assuming is her apartment.

"Do you," I take a breath before continuing. I wanted her to have no indication that I was injecting drugs or that I was slightly drunk. "Do you have a pin or something?" I ask looking at her.

She nods quickly before digging in her purse. She pulls out some sort of hair pin and hands it to me. My shaky hands take it from her before digging it in the key lock.

I've only picked a few locks in my days but I can't remember if it turned out okay or not. "I've never seen you before." she says.

"You must be new."

"I am." she says. I don't say anything I continue with the lock. It makes a clicking noise and the door creaks open. "Thank you!" she exclaims happily, I nod in return, and start walking away until she grabs my arm.

"Wh-why are you shaking?" she asks.

"I'm cold." I answer, the first thing that came to mind.

"Come in, I can make you tea."

"You don't know me." I say rather rudely.

Her eyes soften and she lets go of my arm. "Sorry, I-I just wanted to make a friend. I just moved here and I just want someone." she says.

"I'm not the type of friend you want." I say.

"Why?"

"Because I'm an addict." She looks at me funny not understanding. I shake my head. "I'm dangerous." I whisper before walking away back to my apartment to finish off that vodka.