Left Behind

"THEREFORE THE CURSE HAS DEVOURED THE EARTH, AND THOSE WHO DWELL IN IT ARE DESOLATE. THEREFORE THE INHABITANTS OF THE EARTH ARE BURNED, AND FEW MEN ARE LEFT."

-ISAIAH 24:6

FENGDU, CHONGQING- CHINA

NOVEMBER 21, 2022

"You know, Sarid, if there's a way hide from the undead, you need to find out what it is. We're running out of time."

I knew that was true. "I know." I watched the soldiers as they walked all around patient zero's room. " I had this feeling of uncertainty of what if patient zero, or one of those zombies with him, springs up and bites one of the soldiers?

Mr. Yuang must've somehow read my mind, because he reassuringly said, "Don't worry, Sarid. Patient zero hasn't been able to get up, because we strapped him up to the bed."

That was not enough to comfort me, as I realized that patient zero could easily outsmart the humans, who were totally stupid enough to think that a long strip of police tape would keep him pinned down to the bed.

We waited for what seemed like eternity, before the soldiers slowly walked out of the room. There was a look of fear on each one of their faces. I knew that there was something wrong.

"Bye." I looked back at Mr. Yuang, who was smiling and waving at me. I found that weird. Who could do that when you're technically working in a hospital full of flesh eaters? He must've had a lot of hope that we would be able to find the cure for the zombie virus.

"Bye.", I waved back, as I turned around, and followed the soldiers. "Be careful.", he whispered, as he signaled a symbol of himself being beheaded.

It's still raining. Fuck this! I thought this, as I got on my bike, and started pedaling down the slippery road. I looked up, and there were soldiers on the roof of the hospital, with guns ready to shoot. "Shhh, quiet, don't let them see you."

In order to avoid getting caught by the soldiers, we had to ride closer to the buildings, and further away from the middle of the street, which means, riding closer to the fence. Don't get it? There's zombies on the fence, and sleeping all around it. In other words, we have to ride closer to the sleeping zombies.

"Not a sound, got it?", Enrique whispered so lowly, that I could barely hear his voice through the pouring rain. Damn, how can the zombies sleep with all this rain?, I thought to myself, as sharp drops of rain kept falling down on my face- they felt like sharp needles falling from the sky. Shit. I thought, as I turned my bike towards the fence. This is so fucking not safe. What did I get myself into?

 What did I get myself into?