chapter seventeen: joshua dun

ILL BE there in ten. Stop worrying Tyler, you're fine. Yes. Okay, see ya then." Josh hangs up the phone with a laugh.

"Is he nervous?" Laura asks from where she's preparing the last of the food.

"Very. I'll be back okay?"

"Okay. Be safe."

He doesn't walk as its still snowing out, he takes his moms car and is there in five.

Tyler walks out of the house before Josh can get out of the car, the boy plopping in the passenger seat.

"Excited?" Tyler shakes visibly.

"Cold. And nervous. Actually pull over I'm going to puke." Josh laughs until he realizes Tyler isn't kidding, coming to stop the let the boy open the door and vomit.

When he leans back in he wipes his mouth on his scarf.

"Sorry." He looks miserable.

"Ty," Josh starts, leaving the car in park. "You don't have to do this ya know? If you're not ready I can tell them-"

"No. I want to, I need to. It's just my anxiety getting the better of me. Now drive before I start to think about it again." Josh obeys, handing Tyler a stick of gum from the center piece. 

"Thanks."

"No problem." They get back to the Dun residence soon enough, Josh grabbing Tyler's hand as he pulls him to the porch. Before he opens the door he faces the blushing boy, taking in his flushed cheeks, the snowflakes on his eyelashes and his wide eyes.

"You're so beautiful." Josh mutters and Tyler tries to look away but Josh pulls him in for a kiss. It's not a quick one, it possibly being the longest they've shared.

Tyler pulls away.

"I'm freezing."

"Right!" He laughs.

They enter the house, taking their shoes off before heading to the kitchen. The only one there is Laura as she pulls out the roast from the oven.

"Perfect timing!" She says, turning around. Her smile is bright as she pulls Tyler into a hug, the boy squeaking in shock.

"Mom, you're crushing him!" She laughs.

"He's so cute!"

"T-thank you!" The sound of tiny high heels cackle through the house until little Abby comes running in, dressed in her favorite princess dress.

"Hi!" She yells and Tyler smiles brighter than he has all day.

"Oh my gosh! A princess! Joshua, you didn't tell me you were royalty!" Abby giggles and Laura mouths to Josh over Tyler's shoulder.

Joshua? Josh shrugs. He's gotten used to it.

"I like him." Abby whispers as they all sit, Bill taking his usual seat at the head, Laura sitting across from Josh and Abby moves to sit next to her mother to allow Tyler a place next to Josh.

"I'm Bill." He introduces and Tyler nods with a warm smile.

"I'm Tyler."

"So you're uh, my sons boyfriend? Or friend? Or...?" Josh groans and Tyler cackles quietly.

"Dad, as of now you aren't aloud to speak for the rest of the night." Bill laughs, all of them knowing full well that he'll whatever he wants.

"So, Tyler, how old are you?"

"Seventeen."

"Wait," Jordan cuts in. "Isn't that illegal? Josh is eighteen." Laura's eyes widen and Josh and Tyler look to their laps.

"Uh, no honey it's not. Only if I'm...only if they- Abby honey cover your ears." She does. "Only if they have sex." She whispers lowly.

"Actually, the age of consent is 16." Josh speaks up to which Laura and Bill to him in horror.

"Joshua Dun! Have you-"

"No!" Tyler is blushing uncontrollably and Josh is laughing so hard he can't breathe. "No we haven't. I was just pointing it out." Laura sighs, saying a silent pray to God.

Abby uncovers her ears.

"You know, you're more pretty than Dallon." Tyler laughs at that.

"Never in a million years did I think I'd hear that." Tyler says as he stares at the little girl fondly.

"She's not lying." Josh speaks up and Tyler rolls his eyes but is wearing a permanent blush.

"Joshua, please."

Dinner goes well, Laura serves food on plastic along side plastic spoons, everyone's nice and Josh is only embarassed three times.

After the food Josh brings Tyler to his room where the boy observes it intently.

"You play the drums?" He asks, pointing the set in the corner. Josh rubs the back of his neck.

"Yeah, I just pulled them from the basement actually. I plan on playing them more." Tyler smiles.

"Play me something."

"Right now? Okay sure." He nervously takes a seat, stretching his hands before tapping out a simple beat. Tyler nods along and after a minute when the best picks up he approaches the front of the set and clears his throat.

"You're the judge, oh no. Set me freeeeee!" His voice is soothing, soft and melodic and as Josh subconsciously plays the same beat he can't believe he's only heard this voice once before.

"That was so amazing." Josh says when he stops.

"I agree. You've got some talent."

"Wanna play?" Tyler's eyes light up.

"Can I?" Josh moves from his seat and gives Tyler the sticks as he takes his place.

"Okay, hold them further down." Tyler obeys and Josh stands behind him, placing his hands over the sitting boys and helping him tap the same beat. After a bit he's able to memorize the pattern, playing it on his own.

"I know my souls freezing, hells hot for good reason so please, take me." He sings along to his own made up song before he suddenly bangs loudly on every drum, screeching,

"JOSHUA DUN!"

And Josh is clutching his stomach, laughing so hard he falls on his bed.

"That's my new song called Joshua Dun it'll be on iTunes in five days." Tyler announces proudly, leaving the drums and jumping on the laughing boy. Josh sobers up.

"I'll buy it. Sounds great."

"Thank you." They stare at each for a moment before Josh reaches up and caresses his face.

"You've been happy lately. Not fake happy like you used to be, just...happy." Tyler blushes.

"Thanks to you." Then he leans down and hugs him tightly. "I'm serious Joshua. Thank you."

Instead of saying you're welcome or giving a sappy reply Josh grins and wraps his arms around Tyler's waist tightly.

"In my opinion, I think Josh Dun sounds better than Joshua Dun. For the song I mean."

Tyler slaps his arm.