Chapter Ten

Gray did a pretty good job at cleaning my cuts and I sat patiently waiting for him to finish. Zach sat close to me with his feet in the water and his hand on mine. He let me rest my head on his shoulder for comfort. I had gotten up feeling dizzy twice and was sick both times in the past ten minutes.

'How attractive?!' I thought.

I was sat feeling more than sorry myself just wishing to be back in my hotel room.

The three of us had dried off now and were ready to get moving again. We'd wasted about half an hour of the day light just sat around and catching our breaths.

Gray was proud of his work and was arguing with Zach about the importance of research into DNA as we reluctantly hobbled through the trees. The older one of the two didn't seemed to be concentrating on the conversation topic, but just on helping me keep my balance.

After what seemed like ages, we came onto a wide area of lush grass. It was a hill that looked over the whole of the island.

Zach's POV:

I noticed the look of astonishment and bewilderment on Callie's face as she rushed off in front of me and Gray to ponder at the view. The sunlight beamed on her like a spotlight and her eyes were glistening. She clearly thought the view was pretty, but I preferred to look at her in those few seconds.

Gray didn't seemed too bothered about what it looked like- I could tell he was just thinking about how far we had to walk. He huffed and I decided to try and strike up a conversation with him. "Hey..." I looked down at him, "we got this." I expected him to at least smile, but I just got a sigh and then he plodded off ahead.

For a few moments I was left alone, I looked around and my 'VIP' wristband was coming loose. I snatched it off and threw it to the ground; it wasn't much use to me anymore.

I jogged a little bit to catch up with Callie.

Callie's POV:

I had no idea how to act around Zach now. Not that things were awkward or weird between us, but it was like in Clueless when Cher realises she's in love with Josh and doesn't know how to 'be normal' around him.

When he returned to my side as we were walking down the hill, my heart skipped a beat. But in a good way.

"Look, I uh... I really am sorry for acting like such an idiot earlier. I ju-"
"Don't be. I'm over it." I smiled, trying to act as cool as I could.
"Ah... Okay. Well, good... I guess." He seemed shocked that I didn't really seem to care.

I changed the subject. "So, what's our plan from here on out?"
No words came out of his mouth for a good thirty seconds, "ah I don't know really. Just find our way back to the main park and reach Aunt Claire I suppose."

My mind instantly swung to my dad.

'Oh my god... He better be okay.' I thought to myself.

"What's up?" Zach asked as he frowned at me.
"Nothing. Why?" I tried to cover up my worry.
"You uh... Your forehead crinkles when you're  bothered by something."
"Oh.." My cheeks flushed and I noticed him smiling.
"Come on, you okay?"
I nodded, "yep... Just... Want to find my dad." I admitted.
"We'll get there soon- I'm sure he's safe. I'll help you find him."
"You will?" I asked, a flicker of hope seemed to appear as he said those words.
"Of course I will Cal', you risked your life for me and Gray... It's the least I can do."

In that moment I wanted to hug him tightly, but knew we had no time to waste. Instead I took his hand, squeezed it tightly and flashed him a grateful smile before letting go and shuffling through the rest of the field.