Chapter Thirteen

Zach's POV:

I watched in awe as she pushed him away immediately. She seemed disgusted with him and started shouting.

"Love is a strong word!" I heard her yell.

He shook his head repeatedly and frantically forced himself onto her- her attempts to get him off of her, not affecting him this time.

"Hey!" Owen and I yelled as we rushed forward.

Callie's POV:

His tight grip on me wasn't comfortable; I wasn't in danger- all of the giant birds had fallen to the ground; I wasn't overwhelmed by sadness or grief- I was completely distraught at having been split from my dad and now Zach, but I was holding it together; no, I was fine, Lucas was just scaring me.

"I thought you loved me." Lucas' words were played over in my head.
"Love is a strong word! But whatever feelings I had for you... The don't exist anymore!" I snapped.

He shook his head as if in a trance and then everything happened in a whirl when he grabbed me for the second time.

"Hey! What the hell are you doing?" I heard a familiar voice shout.

Zach's POV:

As Owen ripped the guy away from Callie, I held her in my arms, despite however much I felt let down by her.

A few seconds past and I finally realised how fast her heart was beating against my chest. She gripped my shirt tightly, and then turned to look at the boy.

Owen had pinned him to the wall and was holding him up by the collar of his shirt muttering stuff to him.

Callie stormed over, "I have no idea why or how I ever liked such a disgusting pig." He smirked and looked her up and down in the same way the Gyrosphere ride manager had done, except this time it had a dangerous glint.

Callie's POV:

I was aware of how he was looking at me; I took a quick glance at my godfather; he was seething with rage and then across to Zach; he was staring coldly.

I had no idea whether it was at me or Lucas, but I had a wave of courage as I looked back

Lucas squirmed in pain several moments later, as I forcefully kneed him in the balls.

'He deserves it.' I thought.

My godfather started laughing and so did Zach; both clearly impressed.

When Owen regained his seriousness, he checked me over, "you okay? Did he hurt you?"
I shook my head, "just my dignity," I retorted.

"Okay, well, we should get going..." Owen watched as Zach started plodding off ahead of us, "that boy was crazy about finding you, I think it's best you explain to him what happened. He seems like a good kid."

I gulped... 'Zach was actually worried about me.'

"He is. And I will. But... I have to find my dad first."
"We will." Owen said abruptly as we stepped over a pool of glass, "we're headed to him now."
"You mean... He's okay?" Hope flooded me.
"Uh... Sorta." He mumbled, "come on."

Any more attempts at conversation were shrugged off.

'What the hell did Owen mean by sorta?' I panicked in my head.