Chapter Fourteen

Owen rushed us out of the main plaza- Gray remained close to Zach, who hadn't said a word to me since the incident with Lucas.

"Owen, where's my dad?" I blurted as Claire answered her phone.

"I don't know."

My heart dropped, "but you said he was okay!"
Owen stopped in his tracks and turned to face me, "I said sorta."
Panic rose within me, I glanced at him and raised my eyebrows. "See! That means he's okay!"

Looking me up and down, he said nothing.

"Owen?" I questioned as a familiar lump rose in my throat.
He shook his head, "look, I last saw him at the raptor cage and things didn't go to plan, okay?" He began to walk at his own pace again. "But your  dad is tough Callie, you've no need to worry about him."

"You have no idea where he is, how can you say that?"

We rounded a corner, to see a huge group of distressed tourists all hurrying to find safety.

"What do you mean use the raptors?" Claire asked to the person on the phone.

"Son of a bitch." Owen groaned as a helicopter flew over us.

The five of us stopped as if bolted to the ground  by the sight before us.

"You shouldn't say bitch." Gray exclaimed.

"Take the kids, get 'em someplace safe." Owen ordered to Claire as he swung around to face the gate that was creaking to high heaven.

From then, everything moved in a blur.

Gray and Claire followed in Owen's footsteps and sprinted away, but Zach was stumbling back watching the gate. I pulled at his arm firmly and he turned  around as a massive crowd being attacked by the prehistoric birds we had just escaped, burst through. 

A Mercedes jeep was parked in the middle of the walkway and everyone rushed towards the doors:

Owen in the drivers seat; Claire in shotgun, Zach and Gray to the back.

My breath caught in my throat as I felt my ankle crunch beneath me and I fell in a heap. No-one took any notice of me as they ran past, screaming and crying. I whimpered at the grill of the car for a few seconds with my hands wrapped tightly around my burning ankle before it reversed slightly.

'They're leaving me?' I thought.

Pteranodons and pterodactyls were swooping down next to me and I thought for sure I was going to be lifted up into the sky, doomed to have the same fate as Stacey and Zara.

Zach's POV:

I pushed Gray into the jeep and clambered in after him, leaving the door slightly ajar for Callie who was only seconds behind me.

Now wasn't the time to talk to her but I was still thinking about how I hadn't exactly spoken to her since finding her with that guy. 'What was the last thing I said to her?'

She still hadn't caught up. 

A passing tourist ran and slammed the door- Owen began to rev the engine, "Zach?" I peered over the dash board to see a crumpled figure on the floor. I knew what Owen was asking me to do and I didn't hesitate. I forced myself out of the car and into the chaos again. I heard Gray begging me to come back along with Aunt Claire shrieking at Owen for letting me out, but I sprinted to Callie.

The wheels squealed and the jeep reversed as I urgently pulled Callie to her feet, Owen trusted me to keep her safe- he knew what he was doing.

"What's wrong?" I crouched beside her to protect her from a diving bird and she gasped, evidently shocked by me being there. She was in pain but I couldn't tell why because her whole body was covered in cuts and bruises.

"My ankle!" Callie cried over the other noises.

"Lean on me," I hoisted her up gently and put one of her arms over my shoulder as she nodded. "We're getting out of here Callie, hold on."

We darted around the corner, dodging attacks and tourists; Callie flinched every time we had to move out of the way but carried on towards the gap where Owen had parked the jeep. A door swung open as we saw them all shouting in their seats. Lifting Callie in and then jumping in after, I closed the door behind me.

All of us were breathless as we watched the other victims rush by. Callie gripped my arm to get my attention and she whispered "thank you".

Callie's POV:

"This does not feel safe!" Zach exclaimed after he smiled at me through heavy breaths.

The two brothers leaned over me into the middle of Owen and Claire's seats.

"Can we stay with you?" Gray asked.

Claire answered, "I am never leaving you as long as you live."

Both of the boys shared a glance, "no, him!" they agreed.

"Yeah definitely him." Gray confirmed.

****

Owen drove the car to the raptor cage, as he had some 'jobs to do' and he thought we'd be the most safe there. We pulled up and the sight before me sickened me to the bone.

Vic Hoskins. It'd been a while since I had seen him, four years or so, but I'd recognise his repulsive face anywhere.

Immediately I pushed the door open, scrambled over Zach who was closest to the door and stumbled out without anyone stopping me. I limped behind Owen who had even more reasons to hate the guy.

"The mother hen has finally arrived." Hoskins spoke smugly, referring to Owen.

My godfather didn't speak, he just stepped closer to the portly man and swung for him.

"Get the hell out of here and stay away from my animals."

"Hoskins you wanted this to happen you son of a bitch!" Claire spat at him.

I remained behind Owen and smirked at the look of pure horror on his victim's face. I'd wanted to see that happen for a good seven years.

"Oh, Jesus." He groaned while looking at the two of them and rubbing his jaw, "how many more people have to die before this mission starts to make sense to you?"

I stepped out from behind my cover and Vic's face dropped. Astounded, he didn't say a word.

Right before I was going to give him a taste of his own medicine, a beaten figure leaning against the cage caught my eye.

Dad!