Chapter Eleven

We walked for a solid twenty minutes and reached the middle of the forest before anyone spoke. There was the odd "watch your step" and "it's easier to go this way", but no proper conversation.

Nobody seemed to have anything to say. But, who would after almost dying? In some ways, I was grateful for the silence; the noise of the dirt beneath our feet and the nature around us was enough.

As we were climbing a sloped section of the forest there was a heart-wrenching sound of a dinosaur growling in the distance.

"This is what it would have been like..." Gray said a few seconds after.
"What?" Zach asked as he rounded a fallen tree in front of the two of us.
"If dinosaurs never went extinct." Gray explained. "People just wandering around, scared all of the time."
"People wouldn't be here if they never went extinct." Zach ended the conversation and he watched his brother climbed the mud.

As Gray skill-fully shimmied around a tree, I put my hand on Zach's shoulder

"You okay?" I smiled.
"Yep, I'm fine." He returned a half-hearted smile and sighed before following his brother's footsteps around the tree.

I could tell he wasn't, but assumed he was just putting on a brave face for Gray and I and so I didn't question it any more.

As I rounded the tree I looked up to see that Gray had stopped and Zach was rushing over to him.

Zach's POV:

I grabbed the helmet from Gray's hands. I felt a shiver run down my spine as I saw the huge, blood stained, gaping hole on the side. I could hear Gray breathing heavily.

The place was a graveyard.

I glanced back to see that Callie was awestruck by something. I followed her gaze and saw a Jurassic World business truck. It was covered in mud and sparking dangerously ahead of us. When I noticed it, I dropped the helmet and warned them. "Stay here." My brother didn't listen and he clung onto my arm for support.

As we approached the car I could see that it wasn't just mud, there were patches of blood that were still dripping from the hood of the vehicle.

I felt an overwhelming lump rise in my throat and I gripped onto the structure in front of me. I hoped that we didn't find a dead body anywhere, or I wouldn't be able to remain calm. Not even for the well-being of my little brother.

My eyes met a somewhat relieving sight.