Chapter 17

|Saturday Evening|

[Tsubaki's POV]

It was already 6pm and I still needed to get ready for the date. I didn't even find anything to wear yet. I didn't even do my hair yet! Oh no!

"Mom!" I shouted from my room. I had all of my clothes all over the floor. My mother came running into my room. "What is it?" She asked. "I have nothing to where" I admit. She shook her head. "Hmm. Do you want to borrow some of my clothes?" She asked again. I nodded and she went to get them. Please know what you're doing.

A few minutes later my mom came with 3 different outfits. The first one was a yellow dress with a frilly bottom. No. The second one was a black skirt and a navy blue blouse. Too formal. Finally, the third one consisted of light pink button-up shorts and a white sleeveless button up top. A bit girly but I am a girl after all. Besides, I have no other options. "This should do" I told her picking up outfit #3. "Great! Now you put that on and I'll be back in a few minutes to see how you look" my mother said. "Okay."

~
I finished getting dressed and looked at myself in the mirror. It's a nice outfit but I'm not pretty enough to wear it. "You look BEAUTIFUL Tsubaki" my mom complimented; skipping into my room. I sighed. "Thanks mom" I said casually. "Don't forget about your hair" she stated. I nodded and ran over to the mirror. "What to do with this?"

***
It was finally time for the date and I was greeted by Kousei standing outside. "Hey" he said once I approached him. "Hello" I said with a smile. I watched as Kousei looked me up and down. "You look..different" he stated. I blushed and looked down. "I'm just dressed more girly" I mumbled. Kousei grabbed my hand and made me look at him. "You don't look bad" he said with a closed eyed smile. I smiled at the sight of my hand in his. "You don't look too bad yourself" I told him. He chuckled. "Well let's start walking" he said while beginning to walk. He was still holding my hand.

I was ecstatic. I was actually on a date with the boy that I love. The boy that I want by my side forever. He was holding my hand and smiling at me. Well, he did before..but it didn't feel this amazing. Everything that happened before wasn't in his heart. I knew it all along but I didn't want to accept it. I was just being selfish.

I then realized something. Why is he being so nice to me if he doesn't like me? "Why?" I asked ruining the silence. He gave me a questionable look. "Why are you being so nice to me? This date and everything. Why would you do this if you can't return my feelings?" I choked. Kousei let go of my hand and stopped in his tracks. "Just like before, I think that you deserve to be happy" He told me. I was at loss for words. Kousei was doing all of this for me? What's the big deal with him wanting me to be happy? I didn't do anything to deserve this, to deserve a friend like him.

After everything he's done for me I always repay him with tears. I'm a terrible person and a crybaby. I'm tired of always getting through life with tears. I don't want to live like that anymore. I want to be the best person that I can be from now on. I want us to fall in love the right way through time and dedication, even if that day never comes. At least I'll live knowing that I tried my best to make my best friend fall for me like I fell for him.

I finally get it now. Everything that he does for me is because he wants me to be happy. He knows the effect that he has on me. He knows that all I want is for him to feel the same way. That's why he tries to force himself to like me.

"Kousei, thank you for everything. Thank you for caring about this dumb jock. You put a lot of effort into our friendship" I explained. He gave me a soft smile but didn't say anything. "I mean it Kousei. You're a great friend."

[Kousei's POV]

Did Tsubaki really mean what she just said? I don't believe it. Mostly because she always calls me a dummy. From my perspective, dummies aren't very nice people. And to be even more specific they get punched around...literally.

Who am I kidding? I do act like a dummy sometimes. I wouldn't blame her for thinking that I'm a jerk. And I am a music nerd. I guess all of her names for me are accurate. The name calling doesn't really bother me much anymore anyways. I've already become used to it. "Kousei" Tsubaki whined knocking me out of my thoughts. I made eye contact with her. For some reason, I felt a weird sensation. Like a tingly feeling. Oh well. I shrugged it off and waited for Tsubaki to continue. "Where are we going? She asked.

"I can't tell you that. Just know that you'll love it" I told her. She smiled and nodded. We continued to walk.

The Stars were out and they lit up the sky. The moon was shining so brightly. The night was beautiful and having someone to share the scenery with makes it even more beautiful, especially when you're with someone precious to you. I may not show it but Tsubaki means a lot to me. She's always been there for me since we were kids. Now it's my turn to be there for her. Besides, she deserves some kind of award for liking a guy like me for so long.

"I have a confession.." She started.