Book Cliche Five-Best Friends

There are a lot of these types of books on Wattpad. I actually like a few (more in that later). But they all have one of the following plots:

I'm Best Friends with the Player

I'm in Love with my Best Friend

My Best Friend is my Bully

Best Friend With Player- As I previously mentioned in a rant, I hate how guys always are players on Wattpad. All of them. So naturally, your best friend is a player if you are in a guy/girl best friend relationship. This plot and second plot tend to blend. So basically you have Mary Sue/ Plain Jane. She is a nerd, and is doing the whole I-am-ugly thing. (You know, how the nerds always say they are super ugly when they aren't.) Anyways, they are best friends with the "super hot, popular player." They were best friends since grade four, and still are. She develops feelings for him, but she doesn't tell him because she is worried that she might ruin what they have. But she is constantly jealous of her best friend's flings. And she slut-shames all the girls he is with. And of course every girl hates her because "she has what they can't." Time skip. After a humiliating experience, tragic accident, or getting tipsy, they end up kissing which leads to making out. The next day she is worried that she ruined things so she says it was a mistake. Time skip. After one-two weeks of ignoring each other the best friends get stuck together and they make up, kiss, make out, and the rest is followed by smut. It ends with them saying "I love you" or one of them moving away.

In Love with Best Friend: This is very similar to the plot above, but has no player aspect.  Or something like this happens: After being dumped, Plain Jane the nerd pairs up with her best friend to make her ex jealous. They form a fake relationship even though they both wish it were real because they both love each other, but are afraid to say it due to fear of rejection, or ruining things.

My Best Friend is my Bully: This story is basically about how popularity corrupts. So Ben and Jane were best friends forever until 7th grade. Ben tried out for sporty, and became a star athlete. He became popular and is no longer friends with Jane. (Which seems like such a jerky move. Popularity is suddenly more important than your best friend? You are a self centered, moronic, shallow person. If you ever become popular for whatever reason, don't leave your old friends in the dust. It's happened at my school numerous times.) But nooooo, he doesn't just stop being friends with Jane. He bullies her. To "keep up his popular image." That's terrible. That's not an excuse. Once again, of you become popular, don't bully people and try to excuse yourself. It doesn't matter how guilty you feel, how pressured you felt. You still did it. You we still a horrible person.  She turns to self harm. But then Ben starts talking to Jane, acting like nothing has ever gone wrong between them. He explains that he feels really bad for bullying her, it was his friends who told him to. (Wow blame game? What are we five? That's no excuse.)  He also tells her to stop hurting herself. BUT THEN SHE FREAKING FORGIVES HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I probably would never forgive someone for doing that. They bullied you, made you repeatedly hurt yourself, made you think suicidal thoughts. You trusted them, and they left you to eat dust while he is partying with his new friends. And YET YOU FORGAVE HIM!!!?

"Oh ayden, shouldn't you forgive them? After all they say the felt bad and it was their friends' faults."

No! HE STILL WENT ALONG WITH IT! HE STILL BULLIED YOU AND DIDN'T STAND UP FOR YOU! AND HE BLAMES IT ON OTHER PEOPLE INSTEAD OF OWNING UP TO HIMSELF!

Honestly, at this point I hate the characters. Both Best Friend/Bully Ben and Jane who forgives too easily.

"Oh Ben! It's okay that you bullied me for the past four years! It's okay that you made me hurt myself. It's okay that when you were supposed to be my best friend, you chose popularity. It was all your friends' fault. Not yours."
       -Jane who forgives too easily

WHAT THE FREAK!!!!? HE STILL CHOSE THOSE FRIENDS. HE STILL BULLIED YOU! HE STILL LEFT YOU OUT TO DRY! HE STILL NEVER STOOD UP FOR YOU!

Eventually Ben says he has had enough and he stands up to his friends. They get all mad and Jane says she loves him.

While he eventually stood up for Jane, he took to long. He still partook in the bullying. He is just as bad as his friends.

So this kind of turned into an anti-bully romance, but still.

Best friend love stories are cliched.

Here is what I love in a Best Friend story:

Character One and Character Two have been best friends forever. Two secretly has feelings for One, who is dating someone else. One and Someone Else break up, and realizes that the right person for them was right in front of them all along. And of course, One and Two would slowly fall for each other, no kissing by Chapter five. (I hate Insta-love). One and Two end up together. The end.

Don't be Cliche, Wattpad.

-Ayden