07.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy."
-Anne Frank

######

"Sh-sh, sh-sh, she's mine," Bellamy whispered causing the people with him to pause behind him.

Ariela had tagged along with Bellamy and a few others, including the boy that Octavia had fallen for. They were all walking among the bushes silently watching a boar a few feet in front of them. After exploring the forest for several hours, they had finally found something that they could kill, cook, and eat.

Bellamy raised his arm that held his favorite weapon. His axe. He pulled back his arm ready to throw the ax but from behind a twig snapped. Within a second he turned himself around and threw the axe to where the noise came from.

When Ariela caught sight of the young girl from a few nights ago, she let out a gasp. "Bellamy!"

He glanced at her, smiling at her worry for the girl before turning back to the matter at hand. The young girl who stood before her body was stiff with fear as she glanced at the axe that was embedded into the tree right beside her head.

"Who the hell are you?" Bellamy asked the young child who stood before him.

She stood stiff as she were scared he was gonna harm her. "Charlotte."

"I almost killed you. Why aren't you back at camp?" Behind Bellamy, came Atom curious as to distracted the leader and almost lose the boar they were going to eat.

"Well, with that guy who was dying-"

"He's not dying," Ariela interrupted with a bit of harshness in her voice.

Charlotte blinked at Ariela ignoring what she had just said. "I just -- I couldn't listen to him anymore."

"There's grounders out here. It's too dangerous for a little girl," Atom told her. Ariela nodded agreeing with his words.

"I'm not little," Charlotte quickly denied.

"Child, you're like twelve," Ariela squatted down to be eye level to Charlotte. "You are little."

Charlotte stared at Ariela as though she were about to attack the elder girl. Bellamy glanced between the two girls before making a quick decision.

"Okay, then," Bellamy began to pull a knife made from the drop ship metal. "But you can't hunt without a weapon. Ever kill something before?" Charlotte shook her hear. "Who knows? Maybe you're good at it."

The three eldest of the four began to walk after the rest of the group trying to catch up. Ariela jogged up to Bellamy who walked at the front of them.

"I can't believe you just gave a little girl a knife."

Bellamy shrugged his shoulders as he sent a small look to Ariela. "She needs to have a weapon to defend herself is she's gonna stay with us."

"She shouldn't even be here, Bellamy." Ariela whispered harshly.

"Well she is. We can't just send her back by herself."

Ariela looked back at the twelve year old girl. She was walking a few feet behind Atom. Her hands played with the knife that Bellamy gave her. Her eyes were shifting every few seconds taking in the new sights before her.

"I know."

######

The small group of four had yet to find the rest of their group but they knew that the others couldn't have gotten far. The sound of birds cawing and things moving in the trees alerted them that something bad was coming, so when a yellow fog appeared behind them all at once they began to run. Bellamy led the way to caves that he had found several nights before, followed by Ariela, Charlotte, then Atom.