VII

Hazel's POV

I walk through the streets of New Rome, enjoying all the views. I've always loved this place. It feels like home.

Suddenly, as I am ordering my hot chocolate, I hear a scream. And screams can mean a lot of things: a scream of excitement, a scream of being scared momentarily. But this scream represents only one thing: terror. Pure terror.

I turn around and see a huge fissure opening and a demigod falling through. At the last moment, I think: gold, and a huge mound of gold appears. The scream turns into a surprised gasp. I know that the gold cushioned whoever fell, and I feel relieved.

I grab my hot chocolate and run over. The demigod is staring at the gold in awe.

"Um, are you okay?" I ask. She stares at me, and I realize she's seriously pretty.

"I'm fine. I'm Vanessa, BTW. Who are you?" She goes back and forth, looking at the gold and me.

(Vanessa's back with more drama!)

"I'm Hazel." I croak.

"How did you make the gold appear?" She frowns. 

I bite my lip. I don't know this demigod yet, so I'm not going to tell her.

I sip my hot chocolate casually, looking at the precious metal. I raise my eyebrows at her.

"I didn't."

"No?"

"How could I make gold appear?"

"Well, I don't know. But this is good news! If I collect all the gold, I can give it to Jason! He will totally be in love with me after he sees what I can offer!" Vanessa squeals.

My lungs fill with cold wind. Which is ridiculous, since it's nearly 30 degrees out here. 

(I live in Canada, so we use Celsius. It's about 80 degrees Fahrenheit.)

"Um, Jason? Jason... Grace?" I ask nervously.

"Yes! You know him? Isn't he like, the hottest guy ever?" Vanessa exclaims.

I kick myself in the shin. Why did I have to make gold appear?

"Well, I got to go. Do you know where he is?"

"No." I lie. Jason told me that he along with Piper, Leo and Calypso were meeting at the cafe. But of course I don't tell her. I've caused enough trouble already. 

"Well, I'll find him myself. Bye, Hazel!" She grabs a bag, starts to fill it with gold, and runs off happily.

I'm so sorry, Piper. 

Schist.