//Maya's Story, Part 2//

I knew I wouldn't be able to survive for long like this. 

 2 days ago, I had already finished all my food: some cheese and crackers, a pack of raisins, and one can of those to-go chicken noodle soups. I barely have any water in my canteen anymore. I found a river and filled it up every day. But I haven't seen a body of water for the entire, long day I've been trudging across along the countryside.

It wasn't fair.

Just as I was about to give up, I saw a safehouse in the distance. I threw my backpack down and I ran for it. I knocked on the door, and a kind looking elderly woman rushed me in. She pulled me up in a comfy chair, spread a blanket on my legs, and handed me a warm cup.

I forgot all the manners I had and I sniff the drink. I pull the cup up to my mouth and take a long sip. It was delicious. Hot chocolate with peppermint. Yum.

The elderly woman, Mrs. Skylan, talked to me, gave me a proper dinner, and led me to an empty room.

"Mrs. Skylan?" I asked her.

"Yes, dear Maya?"

"Where am I? Am I safe? Will I have to... leave, eventually?"

"My dear. These are topics we are not to discuss right now."

"Yes, ma'am. I will not mention those ever again."

"Thank you."

I crawled up to my bed, tucked myself under the covers, and Mrs. Skylan turned off the lights for me. 

I lived like that for 3 years, in peace, until one day I came across a vision that changed who I was.