VIII

Frank's POV

It was a normal afternoon and I was doing archery. I always loved archery. And I was good at it too.

Hazel came running up to me. 

"Frank! I need your help! Quick!" She pants. I put down my bow and arrows and put a hand on her arm.

"What's wrong?" I ask, concerned. Hazel isn't usually so nervous.

"I-I messed up real bad and now I need your help solving it."

"Ok, anytime. Slow down."

She explained the whole scenario about Vanessa and the gold and I listened carefully.

I confirm the plan.

(You'll see!)

"She went this way!" Hazel points.

So we set off sprinting. We follow Vanessa, and we see her walking along the park. I turn into a squirrel right now and start running around.

(Um, I hope no one steals Frank's bow and quiver of arrows. Whoops.)

"Vanessa!" Hazel calls to her. She turns around grinning.

"Isn't it a beautiful day?" Vanessa starts. Perfect.

"Yeah, it is. This park is really nice. I was wondering, want to go for a run?" Hazel asks. Vanessa smiles.

"Sure, why not? But I need proper shoes." 

"Oh, I have them. My boyfriend bought me an extra pair." Hazel took out a pair of pink and blue shoes. Vanessa squealed, slid off her backpack, and tried them on.

"Wow, your boyfriend really knows style."

"Yeah. He's Frank. He's amazing."

If squirrels could blush, I probably look like a tomato by now.

Vanessa left her backpack on a bench. I quickly jump on. Hazel and Vanessa start running. Hazel's running very slow, buying me time and procrastinating; stopping once in a while to look at trees and examine the park view. I'm sure Vanessa is fine with that. It gives her more time to talk about Jason.

Anyways, I scuttle towards the backpack. With my small claws, I unzip it and see a bag of the shiny gold. Wow. Hazel really could summon beautiful things. I grab the bag, unzip the backpack, and run off with the gold. 

Once I'm back where we started, I turn into a human again and shove the bag in my pocket. 

Hazel and Vanessa are coming back to a backpack that looks exactly the same.

But it doesn't have anything priceless in it.

Hazel is a genius.

She really is.