Chapter 3: Sibling Love

"Well that's not going away any time soon" Steve sighs as we rise above the trees and zoom towards the base.

          Steve has become relatively more comfortable flying with me, but he's still not thrilled with the idea of flying on golden dust. However, I make him ride with me either way, he needs to live life to the fullest! We land at the entrance of the base, with me skilfully flying to avoid gunfire. As Steve stumbles off I can still tell that his stomach isn't quite adjusted to flying. I chuckle at him as I pass and enter the base, with Steve catching his breath.

He quickly catches up as we hear Natasha over the coms, "We're all locked down out here" she says.

"Then get to Banner, time for a lullaby" Steve responds.

The two of us then continue walking through the base. Hydra knows how to pick their bases. I doubt Shield had a castle as a base.

"Stay behind me Dal." Steve says. He waves his hand at me, motioning for me to follow behind him.

"You do realize I'm the one with superpowers right?" I ask, passing him and walking in front.

He then quickens his pace and pushes me behind him as he speaks, "I don't know what we'll run in to and I don't want you to get hurt."

I stop suddenly at his comment, he notices, turns to face me and takes a step closer, "What?" he asks.

I furrow my brows for a moment as I ponder his question. Why did I stop? Oh ya I know, Steve's been acting like a bubble wrap parent lately. Always asking if I'm ok, protecting me when it is definitely not necessary, cooing me like I'm a 5 year old. I look back up at him as he raises his eyebrow and a wave of concern rushes over his face, "What's wrong?" he asks.

"Nothing" I lie. This isn't the place to start an argument and I know this will turn into an argument if I bring it up now.

He purses his lips and nods, unconvinced by my lie. He then continues walking until we turn a corner and find a flight of stairs. We walk up but quickly run up the last few remaining steps as Strucker races out of the doorway next to it.

"Baron Strucker, Hydra's number one thug" Steve says.

Strucker stops and turns on his heel towards us, with a smug smirk on his face, "Technically I'm a thug for shield" he responds.

"Well then technically you're unemployed" I retort, from behind Steve.

"Where's Loki's sceptre?" Steve asks.

"Don't worry I know when I'm beat. You'll mention how I cooperated, I hope" Strucker says.

"Yeah, I'll put that right under 'illegal human experimentation'" Steve retorts.

I step in front of Steve and ask, more threatening than I think is necessary, "How many are there?"

That's when I feel it, a shock to my stomach that sends me backwards, past Steve tumbling down the stairs. For some reason I can't use my powers for that split second, and as I tumble I hear a voice in my head that I've never heard before, "American Circus Freak!"

          As I feel my body hit the last step I try to land on my feet, but instead I just land on my arse, with a loud thud. I look up to see Steve at my side as he helps me up, supporting me with his hand around my waist and his other holding my hand. I blankly stare at him as I regain my barring. I shove him off a little as I stand on my own and hear Steve says something into the coms. I then look at Strucker and rush at him, punching him square in the jaw, knocking him out cold.

"Jerk!" I shout at him.

"Guys we've got Strucker" Steve says to the others.

I then hear Tony's response, "Yeah well, I got something bigger, Thor I got eyes on the prize!"

Both Steve and I look at each other and nod, knowing that the mission is complete and that we can go. I quickly brush past Steve's arm and head down the stairs. But before I even make the first step, Steve has my arm and is pulling me to face him.

"What?" I ask.

"Are you ok? You're acting strange?" He asks me, keeping a hold on my arm.

I look up at him and quickly turn off my com, no need for the others to listen in. Steve does the same, with a curious expression across his face.

"I'm acting strange? You're the one acting strange" I laugh, trying to lighten the mood and not have an argument. I've never fought with Steve, just little quarrels about putting stuff away in the kitchen, that's it. But never a full on shouting match.

"How am I acting strange?" he asks. He now has both hands on my arms and we're a little too close for friends.

"THIS!" I shout, pointing at his hands on my arms, "You wanting me to stand behind you, running to help me instead of chasing after the enhanced, being overly concerned about me not answering. Steve we're friends, that's it--that's all! We will never...ever be more than friends!" I shout at him.

          I pull away from his grasp and storm down the stairs. I think I made that a little more dramatic than it needed to be. But I can't look back now, it would defeat the whole purpose of being mad. However, I can't help but look back as I exit the base. He's behind me, but walking slowly, his head low and when he looks up I can see the hurt in his eyes. I look away not able to see my closest friend have such a sad look on his face and know, that I'm the one who put it there.

He finally walks up to me and I speak before he can, "I'm sorry Steve, that was, that was rude of me."

He scoffs at me and shakes his head, "I know that we're just friends. I do think of you as more than a friend. But not in that way, I think of you like a sister."

          I stare at him, blankly. I now feel more guilty than before, more guilty than I've ever felt before in my life. Steve thinks of me like a sibling. That was sibling love that I saw not love love. But a part of me doesn't buy it, or maybe a part of me is denying it, maybe a part of me doesn't want Steve to be like a brother, maybe a part of me wants him to be something different. Either way I take a step closer and give him a quick hug, then pull away. As I step back, Steve looks at me expectantly.

I flick my wrist and the boards appear, we hop on and join the others at the jet, deep within the forest.

Hmmmm....Not sure what to say here? SHJHKWJHKSLKJSHSH! Sayyyy what?! Maybe the Dahlia and Steve ship won't happen? What do you guys think? Theories theories theories! Remember to vote comment and share lovelies!

~Livia