chapter 9 rumors

Today is election day so there was no school and my lazy ass decided nah, I'm not going to do homework instead I will watch netflix all day and update my story. Totally smart I know right. Well enjoy this chapter.

Cherry's POV 2 days later

I didn't realize how cold it is until I am standing at the curb waiting for the bus, that is now 10 minutes late. I should sue. That's when I see a shadow emerge and my heart sinks. It is Zaire.

"Hey." I didn't respond.

"Are you still mad?" Still no response.

"Cherry."

"Silent treatment" I mutter under my breath.

"OK fine 2 can play at that game."

I roll my eyes. I turn to him with my arms across my chest.
"You're not allowed to be mad at me."

"Look Cherise there are reasons why....I can't tell you what really happened."

"Thats fine but I'm still ignoring you."

"Maybe one day I can tell you..."

"Why you don't owe me an explanation. So just leave it be besides I'd rather not know the truth instead of hearing bullshit lie."

"Cherise its not like that."

"It is like that...I don't need you to protect me I can handle the truth!"

I hear him sigh and the bus pulls up. "Zaire if you can't tell me the truth don't say anything, I hate liars." I walk onto the bus with him closely behind.

Walking through the school I look for my other friends. I walk over to our usual spot in the atrium. Through the doors walks an average height black girl in glasses. Her earbuds plugged into her ears and her wearing a plaid skirt, white blouse tucked in, knee high black socks, and black converse. "Tatiana!" I yell over the talking people. She didn't seem to hear me like usual. I walk as quickly as a girl could in crutches. "Tatiana!" It seem to reach her this time. She spots me and a smile is on her face.

"I'm so glad your back."

Giving her a fake smile I say "I agree."

"How are you?" she asks me.

I shrug my shoulders. "Two of my friends are dead sooo....."I trail off. She went silent for a moment.
"Lets just change the subject" I say trying to sound positive.

"So tell me about any drama." I wanted to steer clear of that conversation. Tatiana starts talking about some drama that is happening. Looking over at the left I see Zaire hanging with the jocks. I sigh.

He is probably going to turn out to be a jerk like every other jock around here. I notice him in his sweats and a tight black T showing his abs. His hair is messy like always but it was cute so it didn't really bother me. Despite how common brown eyes are his were beautiful. They were something I could die in. They also hold mystery. He was a mystery. A mystery Jolie knew but can't tell me. He didn't really look at all interested in ego maniac Chad though.

He looks over at me. Our eyes meet and they are full of apologies. I turn my head and blush a little. Don't let another guy capture your attention. Not this time.

All morning I have been hearing all the drama. Apparently Tyla is pregnant but it's not her boyfriend. And speaking of boyfriends seems Tatiana has one..finally. The bell rings and I'm nowhere near my class meaning I'm going to be late and I really don't need more attention like that on me.

"OK got to go Tatiana". She waves me off and I make it to my class......5 minutes after the bell rings. When I open the door all eyes are on me. I wish I was walking in with a friend or someone because I really need attention off of me. I can feel heat rushing to my face. "Um....sorry I'm late." I whisper.

"Glad to have you back Ms.Brown". Usually when you walk in late, people look at you and continue with what they are doing but they continually stare at me. Tears threaten to fall down but I don't believe in crying in front of anyone.

The classes were pretty much the same, whispers and stares.

But they are not as bad as 5th period.
Zaire is in here and he smells of cigarette smoke. He sitting in front of me playing with something in his hands not listening to our teacher at all.

Jennette and Luke are in the back staring at me. I can't stand Jennette or Luke. Sadly I sit right in front of them.

The lecture Coach Osborne is giving felt like it went on forever. I hear Jeanette talking to Luke. It is disgusting for a while because all I can hear is Chad flirting with Jennette. Yuck kill me now. But then I hear my name.

Jenette- "OMG how can she even come to school and act like everything is OK."
Luke-" shh she might hear you."
Jenette- "like she is actually listening to us besides I'm pretty quite. But anyways I heard she killed Johnsy and Micheal. Someone said she saved her skin ditched the scene and ended up passing out." My heart literally had to have stopped for about 30 secs. My mouth is open a little and the tears I try to keep to myself rolled off my cheeks. But it didn't stop there.
Luke- "I bet you $10 she killed jolie."

Jenette- "Stop it that's mean." Jenette giggles as if that were actually funny.
Luke- "If you ask me it should have been her in that accident who died. NOT like anyone would miss her.

I can't take anymore of this. I am not going to sit here and listen to them disrespect me.

"You should really shut your big ass mouth Luke and Jenette before I shut it for you! Don't act like you're so perfect especially since you think with your dick and you can't keep your legs closed to save your damn life." I snap at both of them. Jennette's face is red with anger and embarrassment. A few people stare and start laughing at them both. Even though I snapped on them it didn't change how they made me feel about the entire situation. My hands are trembling now. But I hold in the sobs I so desperately wanted to let out. I look over to Shannon who looked as if she was in some kind of trance. It soon broke as the bell rang. Grabbing my books I hobbled out the classroom. I needed to leave this school.

Heading out one of the side doors I head for the woods. I couldn't stop the tears from falling down my face or my body moving tremendously from me sobbing on the ground. I couldn't see anything my eyes have blurred up from my tears. My throat feels salty and my eyes burn a little. Snot is running down my face and spit hangs from my mouth. I am having an ugly cry moment but I don't care no one was there to see me. Or so I thought.

The familiar shadow towers over me. I know exactly who it was and I didn't want to put up with his b.s.

"Look Zaire I'm really not in the mood to deal with your b.s right now. So please if you're here to annoy me just leave please." But instead of leaving he plops right next to me staring at me with worry in his eyes.

"I should have never let us go up that mountain. My friends wouldn't be dead and my friend wouldn't have be on the brink of death." At that thought I brake down again.

"Its not your fault." Zaire says. I lean my head on him trying to calm myself down.

"My gut told me not to go and I didn't even listen. So yeah it is my fault."

"We all don't listen to our guts sometimes but a situation like this isn't something you can control." It made me cry even more to hear those words. My sobs finally calm down after 30 minutes.

"Do you feel better?" Zaire asks me.

"I guess but it's still hard to think about it."

"You need something to cheer you up then."

"Why? Why did you follow me out here?:"

"I heard what Janette and Luke said in the classroom. I wanted to make sure you were alright."

"Thanks." It goes quiet but not an awkward quiet. Zaire looks at me and I look at him then his lips. He does the same. He leans forward and I lean forward to meet him.

"What's going on here?" Principle Johnson is towering over the both of us. "Hey" I squeal out awkwardly.