Chapter 19- Death and Life

Hermione's POV:

"It should've been me... My baby brother, Hermione..." Fred cried.

My heart physically hurt for Fred. Everything that has been happening, and on top of that, he lost a brother. His face was pale as I wiped the tears off his cheeks.

"Don't cry. Make him proud" I whispered. I stood up and took my wand out. Fred and George looked at eachother and nodded, taking out their wands.

_Later_

The war was over. I felt like my heart didn't beat anymore. As we walked into the great hall, scattered with stretchers with all the bodies of people lost, I broke. I saw Ron, Remus, Tonks, and so any others. But along with everyone, I could mistake that red hair. Not like Weasley hair, but like Thomas hair. Caty was laid out on a stretcher, someone I hadn't seen before's hand resting upon hers. He had brown hair and tan skin. He was tall and had blood everywhere.

"How?" I said, choking on sobs.
"You mean Caty and Paxton? There was an explosion. Paxton huddled over her to protect her, and she almost made it, but her last words were: 'Let me die. I want to see him again.'"

My tears spilled even more at that moment. I remember him now. He was her new boyfriend. I could still hear her laugh she did whenever he tickled her. Or when he would pick her up and spin her around, like Fred did to me sometimes.  But there was no more of that laugh. There would never be.

Kate came in, limping and crying. Someone was supporting her. Jackson. {also her new boyfriend} She saw Caty and collapsed, Jackson frantically trying to catch her as she did.

Today I couldn't explain. It was like a silence over everyone. It wasn't the same. Hogwarts would never be. This day will never be forgotten, and if it does, I'll be sure it comes back. I will retell this story for years if I must. And I will stand as a survivor, proud to say that I had such brave friends. And a love that will last for ages.