026: Galantyne

Taan stayed inside the council room as each important dignitary exited speaking in hushed tones. Galantyne's rested his rigid fingertips against the wooden table and waited until Taan had closed the heavy wooden door.

"I am sorry you made such an announcement to him." Galantyne broached the subject formally, his eyes never leaving his father's concerned face.

"Are you? The boy is pining for power. One could easily see it in his eyes."

"He has been confirmed with renegade groups on Carrigah, in his University, fringe groups and small pockets of intellectuals who believe in a differing way of life than either you or I."

Taan traversed the small space, pacing back and forth with his hands clasped behind his back. "I have been appraised of such contacts."

Galantyne's head swung around to view his father angrily. "Then why would you consider this course? He would take Aquaria to ruin and Fortress Galantyne along with it, the cause of the Talisman will be nothing but wreckage. All I have worked for. There might be enough here faithful to me and to my beliefs, who would not allow Evian to take control. It would cause civil war, and a separation of Galantyne and Aquaria as one nation."

"Not if Evian were married to Kara." 

Galantyne looked astonished. "Kara has indicated to me that she would prefer to remain a searcher."

"Perhaps our cause would be better served if she were to temper our young hot-headed nephew."

"You forget, Father, Kara is also hot-headed and rebellious."

Taan stopped pacing and folded his arms across his chest. "You forget, son." His eyes piercing in the stillness. "I have lived through a rebellious son. I have seen the good that has come from him. I intend to give this boy a chance."

"He is only an adopted nephew."

"And you will train him to be a warrior!"

Galantyne stared hard at his father. He finally shook his head. "Conn and Lynette will not take this very well."

"They will have to take it if I say they will. Perhaps Conn can be trained with the other boys." He braced himself with a hand against the wall. "If you feared for the realm because of politics, I assume you would have taken your rightful place. As it stands, there is still the vacancy on Etrusia as well."

"And you plan to fill that, how?"

Taan winked an eye. "You just gave Lailoken and Faherdin to Korlon to instruct. I believe Lailoken has quite a few ambitions."

"You cannot hear me, can you? This place, the place you call home, has a very short life span. It will not be here long enough to--"

Galantyne's mouth clapped shut in frustration. He hated to seem like he didn't trust his own son, or that he wished his own son was more determined to carry on his legacy than work toward its destruction. But he wasn't blind to Lailoken's ambition, nor his differing and insubordinate views.

"You were once as he is. Strong and full of yourself."

"With a cause!" Galantyne yelled in righteous indignation. "A supportable, noble cause. The cause of our people." His hand rose to ward off his father's next words. "I can see how you might confuse my youthful enthusiasm with Lailoken's antics, but sire! Please see, it isn't the same. This boy has been coddled by those his mother recruited. Deliberately chosen to keep him at her side. You've always known Feniece never believed the Talisman Prophecy."