032: Rion

Rion touched the wall where Kara had fled. She had obeyed her brother-- who wouldn't?-- but had she really gone? He'd honed in on her frequency before, felt her strong emotions. It was those that drew him. He felt inside for their connection. One hand rose to the living stone and he recalled her startled beauty, as she'd entered this pool, auburn hair glinting like molten lava in the reflection of the flowers. How easy it was now to see her in his mind.

At first his own interested and confused emotions about the duel with Galantyne assailed him. But slowly he began to feel something else, a long, air-filled void.

"Kara." 

Terror washed over him, as he felt her free-falling, weightless, out of control. The image came of crushed feathers and broken wings, honey hair wrapped around jagged rocks and bloody sharp pinnacles.

With a sickening lurch, he knew where she was.

Rion ran to the pond and dove straight into the center whirlpool, feeling his heart pound furiously, and his thoughts about Galantyne disappeared. Kara was hurt. He had to get to her.

******

Galantyne met Korlon racing down the hall to the council chambers. Galantyne could tell right away that Korlon was furious. He stopped mid-stride, as Korlon kept coming.

"Why, Gal? Why didn't you tell me?" He shoved Galantyne with all his might. Galantyne was a large man, and he'd expected the blow, still he stumbled. He straightened, feeling six vertebrae pop, then barreled down in building rage and rammed his head into Korlon's gut.

"What was I supposed to tell you?" He snarled, shoving the younger man backward. 

"Why didn't you tell me she'd gone?"

"You were gone to the practice field to work with the young hot heads, very noble of you to volunteer your services. You might have checked her whereabouts first!" Korlon punched his jaw and Galantyne reeled backward, then bent and head butted the Valdemarian in the chest. He followed that up with a swift knee to the kidneys and Korlon doubled over.

"Taan was with her!" Korlon gritted bloody spit.

"Evidently he wasn't. Face it, Kor, you didn't check her." Galantyne rubbed his jaw, backing away, knowing as he had just moments before, that the fight was over.

Korlon rolled onto his knees and hung his head. "Where is she? Did you find her? Did you bring her back?" His voice was ragged, and the depth of his despair was evident, causing Galantyne to realize the connection between his sister and his best friend.

His voice softened and he stuck a hand out for Korlon to grip. "She was in the Mountain again."

Confirming his worst fears, Korlon patted Galantyne on the back, examined his face, and rubbed a thumb along the purplish mark on his jaw. "Sorry." He met Galantyne's partially swollen eye with derisive humor. "You got her back?"

"She was in a lotica room on one of the lower levels, being attacked by one of the Captain Foemen. He almost had her, but I engaged him and would have killed him, but I decided I could send Quildor a message, so I let him go after I got Kara free."

"So she's here?" Korlon was ready to battle the little wretch and started along the hallway that led to her rooms. "You will tell me about this engagement later?" He started running down the hall. "I have a lesson to teach!"

"Yes, you do!" Galantyne agreed, wishing he could be a spectator at this confrontation but decided he'd rather let Feniece take care of his swelling jaw.