031: Rion

"Escape in the stone again, Kara?" He said out loud, stopping in mid-stride, as she turned and began to slip inside the mountain. He'd said it not as a challenge, but a disappointed observation.

His voice was deep, a rumble in a rock hard ribcage that reverberated inside the golden lotica lit room. Her stubborn eyes never left his even when he reached up and removed his eye coverings.

Kara's own perception widened in understanding as she saw his real eyes for the first time, dark and fringed in darker lashes, but like hers in all ways. He crouched, ready to spring. More than anything, she felt his strong desire to give in to the hunt. He would never give up now that he had her frequency.

The mountain had already accepted her, the meld was about to happen.

"You're beautiful." He told her. "Lavender and golden eyes the color of these flowers." He made one stalking foot ease up the sand, both hands ready to grab her as she disappeared.

She couldn't admit that he was actually the most handsome man she'd ever seen.

"You---." Confusion rippled into her awareness. "I dreamed of you."

"I taught you to speak in here, in our minds, do you remember? I gave you strength."

Kara felt her bravado slipping. It was him all along? Not Jerrika, not anyone else, but him!

"I have sensed you since the first day. Our connection is strong, little one."

Kara remembered the moment on the stairs, her clearest memory of him. She felt instantly violated, and yet-- how could she be angry, when his strength had given her the only solace she'd had?

"Why would you give me comfort and strength?"

"I felt your pain."

"I've felt people's pain before, but wasn't strong enough to take it away."

He shrugged. "I am not the monster you think I am."

She reared back. "Yes! You are!"

A splash in the pool behind him made Rion turn, even though he was sure she'd thrown a rock as a diversion.

"Go Kara!" Galantyne shouted as he drew his sword and lunged across the fragile lotica. Shock filled Kara's breast at the thought that her irresponsible and reckless disregard for her brother's authority may have caused his death. His reddish hair swung away from his face, and his muscles rippled in challenge. Rough metal on metal tore through them as Rion drew his sword.

"Yes, go Kara!" Rion urged. "I am exhilarated to face your mate and kill him in his passion. It will be like when I killed your friend and his mate, was it Braddon and Blyanna? I believe those were their names. A real match of wits and intelligence. Yes, go, Kara, don't stay to witness the demise of your man."

"Have you forgotten the sting of my arrows, Foeman?" 

Rion faced Galantyne but saw Kara draw her bow out of the corner of his eye.

He drew his dagger and threw it before either of them could make a move, piercing Kara's hand, causing her to drop the bow. He faced Galantyne squarely and dashed across the short expanse to engage him.

Kara fell to her knees with the sudden release of nerves in her hand and wrist, but on her way down she grabbed the petals of a giant lotica and wrapped her bleeding hand. She yanked hard on the dagger protruding from between her fingers, looking up as the blistering ring of metal echoed through the little room. The wicked blade slipped wetly from her hand, with a thick gush of blood.