19.

'Is this cheating?' I asked as I nervously fumbled with my fingers and looked at Bethany wth puppy eyes. Like my loyalty to Troye was decided based solely on her conclusion. Bethany scraped her throat, I came running to her as soon as I had gotten out of my paralyzed state. Kian Lawley, the guy who bullied me, kissed me. 

'No, you were in shock you couldn't have responded immediately if you tried.' She stated, proud of her own statement. I sighed a relief and nodded, yeah she had a point there. I knew it was wrong and I would have pushed him away if he hadn't stopped himself. I just wished I could get an explanation, maybe I should text him and get one?

 'Do I tell Troye?' I didn't really want to, but maybe I had to. 

'That's up to you, but I don't think he'll be mad, you didn't cheat, and he'll be happy you're telling him the truth' Bethany grabbed my hand and squeezed it. I stared at the ground, 

'But doesn't he have enough to worry about already? Besides, he'll be on intensive care for a few days, I won't be able to visit' I said, I didn't really know how to feel anymore, I didn't even know who I was arguing with. Bethany sighed,

 'Con, just think about it. You know what's right, you always do.' She stated before she pulled me into a hug. 'I hate to see you in this permanent state of worry' she whispered as she almost destroyed my lungs in the hug. 

'I can't not worry, I don't know what's going on and I can't control it, I hate it' I replied, resting my head on her shoulder. She rubbed circles on my back as she comforted me. She smelt like vanilla and cinnamon perfume. 

Then, my phone rang. We let go of the hug and I grabbed my phone. 'It's Laurelle' I said as I looked at Bethany. She raised her eyebrows,

'Then pick up you idiot' she said with a persuading tone to her voice.

 'I don't know if I-' Bethany grabbed my phone and pushed the green button, then she shoved it back into my hands. I had no choice. 

'Hello?' 

 Bethany scooted closer to me to hear whatever was going on. 

'Hi, Connor, I just spoke to the surgeon and he says he thinks all went well, the tumor was 'bad' but not really bad, like a 2 on a scale of 10. They think they removed everything. Troye is now on the intensive care. He's fast asleep and on pain killers. Further scans will follow when he gets off the IC' she rambled, I could tell she was optimistic so that made me a bit happier too. Laurelle had a mother-instinct of course, so she would feel it if it was bad. And indeed, these people didn't study all those years for nothing. It was all going to be okay, I could officially start to actually hope it would be okay. 

'Ah that's great news, thanks for telling me' I said with a smile. 

'That's what I promised Tok' she said. I liked that nickname she had for him, it was cute. I smiled even bigger, it probably looked idiotic. 

'I'll keep you posted' 

'thank you' I replied, 'I'll swing by tomorrow' even if I couldn't see Troye at least I could see Laurelle, and maybe Troye, maybe they would let me see him. But I knew the chances were really odd. 

 'Thanks Connor'

 'No problem' 

'Bye' 

'Bye' and she hung up. I slowly put my phone down and looked at Bethany who had followed it all. She looked at me in anticipation. 'You have no idea how happy I am' I told her, she nodded

 'You have no idea how happy I am for you' she replied and she pulled me in a tight hug. After that we put on loud music and started dancing idiotically, we laughed and decided she would stay over at my place. She was a great distraction for me, I didn't know what I would do without her. The next morning we baked the cake I went to buy ingredients for when the thing with Kian happened, and we went to the hospital to deliver it to Laurelle. Bethany didn't have to come with but she insisted, she helped bake the cake after all, she wanted the credit for her work, since I can't bake for shit.