Chapter 14

I woke up disoriented, I was still in Cale's room, I soon realised. But Cale was nowhere to be seen, I began to panic, and picked up the bedside lamp. I walked near the door and got a fright when Cale walked up behind me and took the lamp out of my hands. "Nice weapon," He said cheekily. "But lets go." He grabbed my arm and pulled me out the door, down the hallway pulling me along. I realised I was still in my nightgown. "Cale, I have to change." I said.

"That's where im taking you." He said and soon I got to a small room and walked inside, I stood in the entrance looking back at Cale. My eyebrows rose in question.

" i'll see you soon okay? Remember, you didn't ever know anything about me. You still don't." His voice was firm, and I knew I had to listen. "Alex will be fine." And suddenly I fell back to reality. Today was the day. Would I live? Would I die?

-----

 I went first to the interrogation room from the day before. Cale was sitting beside me nervously shaking his legs. I put my hand on the armrest of his chair and he took it, it seemed his breathing slowed somewhat. Mr Mitchell entered wafting in the scent of booze and looking like he hadn't shaved for a week.

"Lets get to the point here." He said with authority as he sat back in his chair. "We all know you have both.. Done wrong in the eyes of the Dominion. We are willing to right your wrongs because of Mr. Henderson here's Father." His gaze locked with Cale's. "President Henderson asked personally for you and your..' He looked at me with distaste before returning to Cale, "Friends.. to be exempted from everything. But I will have you know not everyone agrees with his decision, and I have my opinion on you, Miss May, so remember you are treading on water." His eyes had turned so dark so fast. "I see no way for this to work. You have been gone to long, every person in the nation has noticed. They know something is up.

"So, I propose you think very quickly of an excuse for you to be away this long, and why you returned with two Runners." He finished.

"What if Cale found Alex and I, WE were the ones injured, and he helped us. This shows Cale as the brave soldier you need, and Alex and I have been changed from 'dangerous' Runners, into normal civilians of the dominion? All from the help of your precious presidents golden boy?" I present.

"Sounds fine to me." Cale said, clearly happy I thought of something.

Mr Mitchell reclined in his chair and I could see his mind was milling it over. "Okay."

Cale and I both let out a rush of breath. We would be okay.

"But, I think we need something else, something to really sell the people." Mr Mitchell said.

The people. The people. My parents. I couldn't stand to be there anymore, they could sort it out. I was just slowly realising my parents would know their kids weren't dead. That we lied for them for 2 years. I couldn't handle it, and jumped out of my seat in a panic, my hand flying down to my thigh for the gun that was no longer there anymore. As I turned to leave, needing fresh air, I swear I could have heard Cale mumble, "I've got something."