Chapter 22

Alex

The bullets .

The screams.

As soon as Cale set me on the ground and pulled the net away, I began to feel my breaths escape me. There was not enough oxygen in the air. I could feel my screms leave my throat but I could not hear them myself. I rocked back and forth with my head in my knees. I knew it must look like I was losing it, but I didn't care, all I could think about was Alex, and the people whos names I didn't even know, maybe dead because of me.

I felt myself being lifted, and carried, but my tears kept coming out. I looked up and saw Cale, his eyes fixated on what was ahead, it was dark but I could hear voices around me. slowly getting closer, I was trying to listen to cales voice only. he is still there. no, I don't think so. Yes, please, if that's okay. Charlie? Charlie? I'm going to need you to let go. Let go of me Charlie, there is a bed here for you. I will stay here if you like. I understood his words and let go of my vice tight grip on his jacket. I lay back on the bed and felt myself lose consciousness.

I woke to a small light peeping through the holes in the roof of the small room I was in, I looked over and saw Cale, sleeping in a seat next to me. He did stay, from what I can remember he had told me that. I look around the small room, it is decorated and clean with care, but it was decorated with older things. It looked a lot like my old home. At that thought I was brought back to the pain in my chest. I couldn't think his name. Last night seemed like such a blur. I needed Alex back, I just hoped Cale had a plan as to how. I heard him stir beside me and I quickly shut my eyes. "Morning" He said, optimisim in his voice. But he masked it well, he knew what was going on in my head. I open my eyes, and look across to him.

"We did it." I smile, even though I feel guilty for the simple action.

Cale hesitates, as if he is not sure how to react. Soon a big smile lights up his face. "Yeah we did. Were in the Lake now, are you surprised about how it is here?"

"Yes, its certainly not the prision I had been expecting. How did you get us out? How did you know this was here?" I threw my questions at him.

"It's a bit of a long story," he said, looking up at me.

"i'm here to listen." I said, hoping to mask the annoyance in my voice, what had he been keeping from me?

"I knew this was here, my father was in his study one day, I was maybe 15 years old, and I saw a monitor as I walked past his study, the door was slightly ajar, and I saw people, everywhere, thriving people, all in different coloured clothes, small homes, but they were all happy. The sign at the bottom read "Lake people thrive president, public deceived." That's when my father turned around, and slammed the door in my face. But I had seen. I knew." I was sure my mouth was in a large O of shock, and I was now sitting up tense, on the old bed. "So, I never said anything for years, but I was sure my father knew that I knew. I did however, find a way to communicate. I have an aunt who lives here, she was one of the first from our society to go to the Lake. It had been here for a long time, sealed off from society by that big wall, forgotten over the years. My father knew his little sister was here, and yet he did not help her- though she did not want his help. My father believed her and her group of "rebels" would not survive out here- but they did." They certainly did, from what I had seen out the balcony window yesterday. "My father decided the best thing was to keep the whole place off from society, hide it as it had never been there before. He believed the people could see how easy it was to disobey his rule, dismiss the "power" he had worked so long for. People knew it was there and many moved there, almost always in secret. But Gradually the population of the Dominion was thinning, and the Lake was thriving. My Father was at a loss, and saw the only way to demolish it was to burn it to the ground, or wipe it from the history books. He was, and still is, a controlling man, so saw fit to Give the Lake a false name, scare people into staying away, and soon, no one ever questioned its presence. Let alone know it was there,

"But I was not.. satisfied, lets just say, about everything. I had planned to leave the army soon, and head to the lake to find my aunt, find a new home, I hated the life I had under the control of the dominon. So when my father was out, I spoke to her through the communicater in my fathers study. One thing led to another and she knew I was coming.

I waited for a chance, and now seemed like the perfect time. Of course I had to get you out too- how else could I repay you for everything? though im sure you would have found yourself here eventually. I was, and still am, dissapointed i could not get Alex out. I talked to my Aunt Ketsia before I left, there was a communicater in the golden mans uniform, I switched to the channel, set it up, and here we are." He finished finally, sitting back in his seat, and letting out a deep breath.

It felt as if he was finally letting everything out, speaking to me about things he had not spoken to anyone but his Aunt- was it Ketsia?- Before. I felt bad for ever thinking bad things about him. He never wanted the life that was chosen for him, all he wanted was to be free. Just like every other Runner wants. Well, I thought, he is more of a Runner than I will ever be.