Chapter 12

After the shock of being here caught up with me, I scoped the place out, even though I knew there was no way I would get out of here. I was still in my luxurious room, which surprised me still. Is this a tactic to make us feel like we are important, a last attempt at making us feel secure, before they whisk us away to the Lake? I shake these thoughts out of my head and sit up on the huge king size bed. I flick my gaze across to the clock on the wall. 3.00 AM. I sigh and lay back down on the bed. I haven't been able to sleep scince the little meeting with Officier Mitchell and Cale today. Also, I generally sleep in the day. I try to close my eyes and count sheep,  but they keep jumping the fence and falling into a lake. Typical. I decide to try my luck at a visit, and pull my night-gown down, and cross my arms as I open my door. The cold hallway breeze sweeps over me and makes goosebumps on my small arms. A soldier stands across the doorway,

"What are you doing up Ma'am?" He questions me.

"I, I would like to see my brother please." I ask, looking up at him through my lashes like a child. Sometimes my petite body and young looks help.

"I cannot permit you to do that Ma'am, you must go back to your quarters." He says to me, but I can see he will break.

I start the waterworks, I wouldn't usually be able to cry when I wanted, but lately they just flow easily.

"Please sir, I know I am wrong, please sir I need to see my big brother, please?" I give it one last shot.

He looks at me apologetically and speaks into his communicater on his collar, "Permission for Prisioner 215 to speak to Prisoner 216" He mumbles.

"Permission Granted, 20 Minutes only, and 2 Guards needed." Officier Mitchell's voice barely crackles out. I am shocked that he would allow this, but then again I am staying in high class quarters I wouldn't think would ever happen.

The Guard leads me down the hall to a door marked: R 890, L 8, P: 216. He knocked on the door and a guard stepped out. He whispered into my Guards ear and I leaned forward to listen, but I could'nt quite grasp what they were saying. My Guard turned to me as the other guard went back into the room and I heard the deadbolt lock into place. My heart sunk. "I'm sorry Ma'am but prisioner 216 is not available to see you right now."

I felt anger wash through me, "Why not?" yell, anger in my voice. "What have you done to him?" tears rush down my face as I imagine the worst.

"Ma'am he has requested he not see you," The guard spoke calmly, making the long, cold gray concrete hallway seem hollow.

I hung my head and sighed. Why would he not want to see me? Does he not understand this could be our last chance to look eachother in the eye? We could be dead tomorrow, we could be dead in five minutes. I looked back up at the guard. "What about... What about Cale?" I ask.

He debates for a moment, and then says, "It couldn't hurt I suppose." And before I knew it I was standing outside the door of Cale's Room. My guard knocked on the door and a moment later we were let inside. The room looked like mine, but it felt warm. Cale was sitting on the edge of his bed, head in his hands. I walked over and sat next to him. "How were you let in here?" He asked without looking up, so tall, his head level with mine even though he was leaning over.

I replied, "I just asked, quite emotionally, and now here I am." I looked over to the guards near the door, eyes trained on Cale and I. I sighed. "Will you please look at me Cale?"

He lifted his head, and I saw again the bruises on his face, really purple now.

"Wha- What happened to you?" I ask, angry.

"Its a long story." He says, his voice giving nothing away.

"I have time."