Chapter 19

Once we got to the lake I found myself surprised. I wasn't allowed to see outside, the tinted windows of the truck made sure no one could see in, and I could not see outside. As soon as I stepped out of the truck (Blindfolded I might add) And felt the warm humid air hit my face, I began to question what was so secret. Wouldn't it be better to show us the horrors to freak us out a little? Scare tactics? I felt the soft polyester of my blindfold removed, and we walked a very long hall, the brick walls crumbling. It didn't feel like a prison though, and we soon stepped into a large marble floored room, with high ceilings and pillars. This is probably where the president stays when he makes his visits here.

The interview with Cale and I was short, as was Alex's who was after us. Nothing eventful, and I read from the card behind the camera, reciting the most idiotic thing ever, and I couldn't believe that the people of the Dominion really believed it.

I was once a criminal, the worst of our kind. I did not understand the pain and shame I brought to my family, my nation, my being. I was found another way, I found the light, thanks to Cale. The most brave soldier of us all, I believe he can show you all the way to live. I believe he can show you the people you may be some day. I believe he will bring this nations Runners to extinction.

The words rolled off my tongue deadpan, and I still remembered them all. What I did find odd was the fact that the scenery behind me was green screened. Why had we travelled all this way, all the way to the Lake, only to be showing a green screen version of the place? What had happened here? And why were they hiding it all? Surely the president didn't know the situation. What a waste of resources when we could have filmed the whole thing back in the city? They brought us here for a reason, and my gut told me it most definitely wasn't for a social dinner. Something was off here, and I waited for my opportunity to question it patiently. I had just been given my new clothing, required to dress to the occasion- as the dinner was soon, It was to have all the high-up prison leaders there, and they would thank Cale for saving Alex and I, and congratulate us on our achievements. The guard stepped into my room as I graciously took the dress and shoes from him. "Thank you." I say politely, then I grab my probably only opportunity to find out what was going on- I then dropped to the ground.

 "Hello?" The golden man asks.

"Hello?" He begins to shake my still shoulders, and my eyes flutter a bit.

"Oh, I must have eaten something off on the way here, could I have some fresh air?" I asked feebly.

"I really wish I could help you Ma'am. But you are not allowed outdoors." He said, like he really meant it. I felt bad for him, as I reached my hand up to almost seem as if I was caressing his face, and pinched his pressure point. He dropped to the ground unconscious immediately. I only hoped the other guards outside my room wouldn't notice the fact their friend hadn't left with me. I stood up and took the gun from his belt, and hid it in the waistband of my shorts. I stepped out of my door, only to find more guards. I knew they would be there, but I was still frustrated. I saw the stairs only a mere five metres away and hoped i'd get lucky. I started calmly walking towards them when a soldier caught my arm seconds later. Dammit. I knew they would be on me, it was foolish hope they would let me fly  by when their main job was to watch me 24/7.

 "You are not permitted to leave your room Ma'am, you must go back immediately."

"Excuse me? Do you know who I am? Cale wont be very happy about this..." I tried the Cale card, but I knew it wouldn't work. He held no power here. The soldier smiled and shaked his head. I pulled up a memory from one of my first few days at the compound and tried it, "Neither will Officer Pete. He is waiting to see me. So please excuse me." I felt the man's grip loosen as I yanked my arm from his iron grip. At the name Pete his face had dropped. I found my way to the stairs and as soon as I knew they couldn't see in their line of sight I started running. I knew I only had a few moments before the shock of hearing that name (that i still wasn't sure why it held such a shock myself) wore off and they realised what I had said. I found a small balcony soon, and stepped outside. I was still on a higher level, and I could not believe the sight below me.

This was not a prison.

This was a city. A whole city, thriving, even at 9pm I saw the commotion below.

The large house I was standing at the balcony of was separated from the city by a large concrete fence. So high anyone on the first 2 levels could not see over. But that did not astonish me. The people here were happy, they did not look like the terrible things they describe to us at school. The horrors, the danger, the lifeless faces. This was a sight I knew I was not supposed to see, a sight that no one was ever meant to see, the sight of a life every Runner had ever dreamed of. Freedom. I needed to get out of this compound, I needed to get over there.

Mid-daydream, my mouth open wide in shock, was soon covered by the white gloved hand of a golden.