Chapter 15

I soon was taken from my room and I arrived at a large one, set almost like a stage,  clad in a tight fitting blue dress, its length down to my calves. My hair was down and curly, and I was wearing some- thankfully- comfortable boots.  I wasn't exactly happy with the choice of wardrobe being as I had never actually owned a dress. I never got the chance to wear the dress you got when you were set with a partner. Of course you had a "choice" we took a serum in our arms, and it made you dizzy for a while, just as it calculated all your traits, everything about you, and set you with someone with the same. I felt like my outfit was a show-off type thing, and I wondered why. But as I walked closer to the balcony I recognised Cale in a nicely decorated military type suit. I walked out into the hot summer air and saw the camera, I looked at my reflection in the camera eye. It was a large camera, not like a security camera. I went at sat down at the half circle table next to Cale, and Mr. Mitchell was sitting across from Cale and smiled at me as I sat in the large velvet chair. I looked at the camera again and the red light flicked on. I did not know what was going on, and looked to Cale. He stared back at me intently.

Mr Mitchell broke the silence, "Welcome, Welcome Miss May. Would you like to say anything to the nation before we begin?" I felt the colour rush out of my cheeks, no. My mother. My father. What would they think of me? Alive. "Looks like she's a bit nervous to be on television for the first time" Cale joked with Mr. Mitchell like they were old friends. Then he grabbed my hand and gave me a reassuring look. What was going on here? Why was I on Television? "Lets begin then." Mr Mitchell says.

"Now Cale, we have all missed your bright face around here. What happened after your mission went crazy? Your father will be pleased you have returned, and are ready to learn the ropes of president!" He smiled.

"Thank you very much Officier, yes of that I am grateful." Cale replies cooly. "but the failed mission ended up being a positive thing"

"How so? Please folks, let me inform you again of soldier Henderson's troubles," He launched into an over the top explanation, "Mr. Henderson was busy on a mission to secure the area he was in at the time, when he came across  two injured... Runners." There was an intake of breath from all the crew members and I assume the entire dominion. "Please continue the rest Soldier."

"Thank you Officier, yes I found two injured Runners and I helped them get back to full health living in warehouses, old sheds, that type of thing. But they weren't like the type of Runners I had previously encountered before. They were... different." There was a low mumble, as if no one beileived his story. "I then found how to help them, see the error of their ways," He turned to give me warm look. "And they agreed to come back here with me, and start their lives fresh."

The mumbles died out, but there was a tension in the air so strong you could almost taste it.

"I'll admit, getting them to agree was easier," He stopped short and looked down at our hands.

"Because of what?" Mr. Mitchell spoke eagerly. "How were you not afraid of the Runners? That they may turn on you?"

"Well, because I fell in love with one."