8. CHOICES

Three days had passed and still, Sarah had not heard from Ocel

Three days had passed and still, Sarah had not heard from Ocel. In her impatience, she'd returned to the cathedral in search of him, but found nothing. She tactfully asked some of the priests and paladins elsewhere in the building if they had seen Vindicator Ocel or knew of his whereabouts. All had different stories, some had none at all.

She went to the Golden Keg, thinking he might be there but to no avail.

Back at the cottage, she paced up and down. Erik and Drew tried to settle her, but she was agitated, and impatient.

     "What you are asking of him will take time to organise," Drew tried to rationalise.

     "He could at least have given me an update or something! For god's sake!! This is driving me insane!"

     "Calm thee doon lass. Now here, huv some lunch," Eric placed a plate on the table for her.

     "I'm not hungry." She pushed it aside.

     "Yer goin' tae need tae keep yer strength up for this...rescue mission."

Sarah glared at Erik. "I know you think I'm mad ..."

     "Barking!" Drew threw in, throwing a knowing look at Erik. The dwarf raised his eyebrows.

     "You too? I thought you at least would be on my side!"

     "Look, it's very heroic and all, but I'm going to be absolutely honest with you here..." Drew got up and walked around the table to face her.  Her eyes were daring him to say whatever it was he thought.   "I'm not convinced you're doing this just because you want to save Illidan or stop the Legion."

      "And why the hell else would I be doing it then Drew?" she spouted.  "You've not seen the devastation the Legion is capable of; I have! And I only saw a fraction of it, but it's burned..." she beat her forehead with her palm, "...in here!"

     "It's what's burned in there that concerns me," he said quickly, pointing to her heart.

Sarah was utterly silent as if the wind and the fight had been knocked out of her. Erik's eyes shifted nervously between the two of them.

Placing both hands on her shoulders, Drew spoke sympathetically.  "I know you said you understood about Khadgar, that you had to accept it, but Sarah...it's me you're talking to. You can't fool me... nor can you fool yourself."

She turned from him and slowly sat down then started to eat the food Erik had prepared for her. The silence was suddenly deafening. 

Erik picked up his bow and quiver. "Think ah'll dae a spot of hunting fur the night's denner," he said quietly.  He opened the door. A shadow fell over him. He halted and looked up.

     "Erik." A voice said in greeting.

Sarah froze. Her hand trembled slightly before putting down her fork as she straightened in her chair.