Chapter 21

When Ellie opened the door, the flood of tears came again. Teagan stepped into the two-story home and fell into Ellie's arms.

"Shhhhh." Ellie hugged Teagan tight. "If my mom hears you crying she's gonna know something's up. And you know my mom, she won't stop badgering us until we give it up."

Teagan sniffed, holding in the remaining sob. "That's the whole issue. I already gave it up."

Ellie smiled.

Teagan swallowed down some mucus and wiped her eyes. "Let's get this over with. I need to know ...like ...now."

"Chill. I swiped the tests and put a couple of 'em in my bathroom. Praying Mom doesn't figure it out. I hid the rest to make her think she lost them. Though she's been stockpiling shit all day. She said Winco had lines that went from the tellers all the way back to the pharmacy."

"That blows." Seemed like pretty long lines to her. But she had more important things to deal with right now. "Let's get this shit over with."

"Come with me." Ellie started to lead Teagan up the stairs.

Teagan felt like Marie Antoinette as she traveled to the gallows. The result at the end of the stairs meant life or death for her.

Ellie's mom bustled by with two cases of Evian water in her arms. "What are you girls up to?"

"Watching porn, smoking dope. You know ..." Ellie answered, "... girl stuff."

"Very funny. Oh, by the way, thanks for the help. Your dad and I got it all. Most fit in the garage, this is going in the pantry freezer."

"No worries, Ma." Ellie ushered Teagan up the steps.

Teagan liked everyone in Ellie's family. Her father, Ed, who liked to be called 'Uncle Ed' worked at Firestone in downtown Tigard; office manager of some sort. Her mom taught the local kids piano and claimed to be queen of the domestic goddesses. Ellie had six siblings. Her two older sisters went to college. A thirteen-year-old sister, eleven-year-old sister and two younger brothers still lived at home. The boys weren't twins, but Teagan still had a problem telling them apart. She realized the house was extremely quiet. She didn't see any of the other kids.

"Where're your brothers and sisters?"

"They're staying with my Aunt Marjorie in Olympia, Washington. She has a ranch on the outskirts of town. They'll be safe there." Ellie's voice seemed confident, but her eyes told Teagan a different story.

"I'm sure they'll be fine. Why didn't you go?"

"You called. I had to stay and take care of your sorry ass." She giggled.

Teagan smiled and went into Ellie's room. She plopped onto the bed and said, "How do we do this."

Ellie tossed the box toward the bathroom.

Alyssa stepped out and caught the small pink box. "Sup whores? Or should I say slut?" She nodded at Teagan. "And Virgo?" She smiled at Ellie.

"Shit." Teagan glared at Ellie. What's one more added to the mix? Jesus. By morning, everyone will know. The thought had her tummy churning again like a Lazy Susan clomping cookie dough.

"What?" Ellie gave Teagan her stank eye; the one where one eyebrow is raised and the other eye is squinky like Popey. "You think I'd leave Lyssa out of this?"

"Guess the fuck not. Fine. Let's get this shit over with." Teagan hopped up from the bed and took a deep breath. You can do this. All you have to do is pee. Jumping beans took the place of her heart. The fact that Alyssa's eyes held compassionate sorrow didn't help. Teagan took the box and the girls shut the bathroom door.    

Thanks for reading. 

Please let me know your thoughts by leaving a comment and voting.