Chapter 59

Savannah doubled over and fell to her knees. Cool wet-earth squashed between her fingers as she steadied herself. Each of her males had caused a small rumble type pain in her gut. Once she'd gained control of them, the ache had disappeared. However, an almost unbearable, slicing pain, increased as the distance between them decreased. Over the last several hours it had grown significantly. And the other female . . . had closed in on them.

A warm palm caressed her shoulder. The claws retracted into the young one's stubbed fingers. Curiosity and care showed in his pudgy preschooler's face. Tight ebony curls covered his ears and drifted to his shoulders. Dried blood flaked to the ground from his flesh.

"I'm okay." She covered his hand with hers and stood.

He scurried back to the brood. All of them sensed the danger. Heat rose from their skin. Ears twitched at every sound. Some growled while others seethed.

Savannah didn't want to fight. She'd seen enough bloodshed. Why fight her own kind when she had no idea what her kind was? The humans had called them: creatures, monsters, abominations, genetic anomalies, a new evolution of mankind, and aliens.

An image appeared in her head, projected like the television screens mounted in human's homes. The other's disheveled auburn curls bounced as she sailed over houses. More males than Savannah could count bounded through trees, using them for cover. Once again Savannah's right side caught fire. This time she wouldn't show the pain. She'd be strong for her boys. They'll need every advantage if the other female finds them.

I know this was a short chapter but please comment and vote.

Now that we know there's another female Trill, what could possibly go wrong?