Chapter 1: How It Came to Be Like This

A/N: I dedicate this to Angelica. She helped me conceptualize all these things. Thanks! Here’s what you’ve been waiting for!

Chapter 1: How It Came to Be Like This

The Skater Boy’s POV

        I know. I know. You might think that I’m a hot guy and a handsome jock in a very prestigious school; attracting girls everywhere I go. But I’m not that guy.

        I’m awesome in my own way. The problem is, most people don’t think that my awesomeness is awesome. They prefer football jocks who are probably taking steroids. Truth is, I’m just a typical guy. I’m a guy with lots of friends but mostly guys. I get nervous and fidgety around girls. I’m a coward with anything that are related to girls. I stutter and I can be considered a wimp, a nerd, a whatever. But that was before. I’m an improved version of myself now.

        I’ll just start with what I vividly remember. Since you basically know the summary of this story, I’ll just feed you with facts and details.

         She and her family moved next to our house when we were still in middle school. I remember her glasses and braces (with the headgear) quite clearly. Puberty was kind of hard on her… Just like it was to me.

        We didn’t have a close relationship. We’re not even friends. We were just neighbors and schoolmates. We never had anything for each other. Oh. Wait. Let me rephrase that. I never had anything for her until now.

        Not now as in this moment, this second. No. I mean now as in a few years before. When we were still freshmen. As I have mentioned before, we never actually talked to each other even though we’re neighbors.    

        I remember when her twin brother can’t walk because of a thing that happened in school. She carried him all the way home. She can’t carry him steadily that’s why I helped her. There were no words spoken. That was the moment when I realized that there was something good inside her that can’t help but show. There’s something behind those blue eyes of hers that I want to know more.

        Two years before—and until now—she was one of the girls boys fall head over heels for. I didn’t notice her because she became pretty and popular and all that. I liked her because she was a sweet girl. She’s beautiful inside and out.

         Every time we are having simple encounters, I feel so overjoyed. I feel complete. Once in our sophomore year, there was a free period because the teacher was absent. We were asked to go outside and just rest under the shades of the trees and do whatever we wanted. I had that same class as her. When I was lying on my back watching the sky, she sat down beside me and said:

        “You’re looking at the past, you know.”

        And I said, “Huh?”

        “You’re looking up. It’s the sky right? The clouds and the sun.”

        “Yeah. So?”

        “The light from the sun travels eight minutes before reaching Earth. That means you’re looking at the time when I wasn’t here and you were alone.”

        “Cool.”

        And then she lay on her back beside me...but not too close.

        “Is this a dare or something?” I asked after a few seconds.

        “What are you talking about?”

        “You know… Talk to that loser skater boy and make him think you’re friends… Stuff like that.”

        “You’re paranoid. It’s nothing like that. Besides… You are my friend.”