Chapter 4: At Life's End

A/N: I dedicate this to the third most special guy in my life. I’ve been having feelings for him for a year now and I think he knows it but no one could do the first move. Maybe he feels something for me, maybe he doesn’t but either way, I’m lucky that God gave me a chance to get to know him.

            I’m too afraid to say anything yet but we’ll get there. Thank you for making me make a better person out of my old self and for unconsciously making me strive for the best. We’re still too young but if you could just give me hints, I’ll wait as long as I can.

Chapter 4: At Life’s End

Derrick’s POV

        I pulled hard at the door, expecting that it was locked but it wasn’t. Huh? If someone’s about to commit suicide, wouldn’t that person at least lock the door? I ran to the second floor and I lost hope as soon as I realized that I don’t know which Stella’s room was. I felt desperation taking control over me.

        I tried every doorknob but they were all locked. Crap. I looked around and spotted the phone. And that’s when I realized that Jamie must know which room was Stella’s since she comes here with Clan. I rushed to the nearest phone.

        “Hello? Jamie?” I asked urgently.

        “Yo,” she said.

        “I have a question okay?” I said.

        “What is it?”

        “I… Do you know where Stella’s room is?” I asked hurriedly.

        There was a pause. “Why do you want to know?” Jamie asked.

        “I can’t tell you what’s happening but it’s important so please…” I begged. “Where is Stella’s room?”

        “It’s at the end of the hall, across Clan’s room. Clan’s room’s door is at the right so Stella’s room is at the left.”

        “Thanks!” I let out a sigh of relief. “Wait. Do you know where the spare keys are hidden?”

        I’ve been looking for the spare keys for a few minutes now but then I can’t find them anywhere. I felt fear. I might be too late and Stella will be… I can’t even bear the thought of it. I must not just depend on the spare keys… I could get a ladder or climb a tree to Stella’s window or whatever.

        To my luck, they don’t have a tree that tall or a tree that could support my weight. I didn’t find a ladder anywhere too. Darn. I ran to our house knowing how little time I had left—if there is any. I carried our ladder that was at our backyard. It was freaking heavy. I didn’t care though… I can’t just leave Stella to kill herself.

        I planted the ladder under the only window open. I hope it’s Stella’s room. Since this window is at the left side of the house, I’m kind of sure that this is her window.

        I climbed the ladder and then I opened the window wider. I stepped inside the room. The room was so neat and clean. They say that when a suicidal is about to commit suicide, he’s likely to leave everything organized and neat… Like it was a last message or task on earth. I can’t stop the tear that fell from one of my eyes. She was suffering extremely with this alone. I had to absorb everything first before looking at her bed and that’s when I saw her still body.

        I can’t believe I was too late. Seeing the bottle of sleeping pills clasped by her hands, I felt myself tremble with helplessness. I was too late. Stella’s gone now. I shook my head and sat by her side. I cried (yes, I’m a guy and I cried). I remembered every moment I had with her. If I only did something to cheer her up this week or at least gave her a smile of encouragement, maybe she’s still here. If only I confessed my true feelings to her, maybe she’d still think that there’s more in her life than what it seems. I didn’t have to regret anything now if only I did something before it was too late.