Chapter 5: Two Guys, Two Girls, And Two Surprises

A/N: I dedicate this to my best friend, April. Thanks for all the memories and for always making me laugh. Thank you for sticking with me during my hardest times. Thank you for your sarcasm and paranoia. You’ll get to the top so don’t worry. ;)

Chapter 5: Two Guys, Two Girls, And Two Surprises

Stella’s POV

                  I looked at Jamie then at Derrick. Jamie was so mad at Derrick and to me too. She’s so affected that I wonder if there was something between them. Derrick’s also trying his best to explain everything to Jamie to avoid misconceptions. But who cares about misconceptions? If Jamie thinks that Derrick spent three days in our house just to do something naughty with me, then let Jamie think that way.

                  “We didn’t do anything!” Derrick insisted to Jamie.

                  “Then why can’t you say what really happened?” Jamie yelled angrily.

                  Derrick bit his lip. He knows that he can’t tell Jamie that I attempted to commit suicide.

                  “I…” Derrick began, “Helped Stella catch up with the lessons she missed. There was no one home so I decided to accompany her.”

                  “But to actually miss school yourself?” Jamie said, “You could’ve just taught all the lessons to her after school. Don’t tell me you didn’t actually think of that. Now, what happened?”

                  Derrick took a deep breath, “I can’t tell you. You won’t understand.”

                  Jamie looked at Derrick in the eye, “Try me.”

                  Derrick seemed to consider of telling what really happened these past few days to Jamie.

                  “Jamie,” Derrick said, “I can’t. You are one of my closest friends and I trust you entirely but not with this thing. I’m sorry.”

                  “I can’t believe this,” Jamie said under her breath. She walked away.

                  Derrick sat on the bench then sighed.

                  “You could tell her, you know…” I told Derrick, “It’s not like she’s gonna tell it to the whole school or something. She’s a kind girl.”

                  “I know that,” Derrick said with a faraway look on his face, “But telling your secret to other people isn’t right. And besides, you decided to trust me right? I can’t just betray that trust.”

                  “Thanks,” I told him and then smiled.

<<<>>> 

                  We went home (my house). We ate dinner then we went to my room and talked.

                  “You said I have so much potential a few days ago,” I told Derrick. “Why did you say that?”

                  “’Cause it’s true,” Derrick said simply. “I watch you dance ballet.”

                  I looked at him, “And when—“

                  I heard someone walking up the stairs while dragging something heavy.

                  “You didn’t lock the front door, did you?” I asked Derrick.