Chapter 6

After the movers went out of my office, I settled and situated my net book on my desk. I went through several books and lectures I did for the past weeks for the exam tomorrow.

Honestly speaking, I became terribly nervous upon hearing the news from Clara. What happen to Dr. Emmanuel? Say, I know he is old now to take control of the hospital, given, and I understand that. But who will take over for it? There are a lot of reasons running in my head about the new team leader for the hospital.

I suddenly remembered, why there are lots of newbies coming. First, the new instructor, now the new take over. What happen to Dr. Colton? Is he sick? Or Colton memorial Hospital was then sold? Are they going on a bankrupt? If they surely sell the hospital with somebody, I’ll pass my resignation first thing in the morning.

There are lots of things running in my head at the moment but I still managed to author an exam at pediatrics for my student. Then I heard a voice.

“that sure is long… spare some mercy to the kids” Erin said propping her head over my shoulder to have a better look at the exam I was typing.

“I have given them everything, I gave them hand outs for the topic on the diseases, I have lectured them all the time and—“

“Sure you do, I mean, come on Char, the kids are not like you when we are in college who can remember everything just by reading books, who managed to deliver her own son on an ambulance, sure you do” Erin flicked.

“How many times should I tell you that I don’t delivered Andy myself, I just helped the medics inside the ambulance, you see I am twisting in pain inside, you were there and Zac.”

“yeah, with the help of the medics, while you were shouting at them and me, hey! I am a dentist not an OBGYNE!” she laughed as I heard noise outside the office. I suspect that the ‘new owner’ finally arrived. There are cheers and popping of champagne I heard. I don’t want to go outside.

However, I immediately thought of meeting him or her? I don’t know. What happened to resigning? I might say that if  the new owner is nice, I might stay, worse comes to worst, I will definitely stay out of the hospital.

I pulled myself out the chair and start working with my heel, when Erin stopped me from going to the door.

“what’s this?” I inquired.

“Your best-of-a-friend can’t just play cool and block you out?” she said grinning from ear to ear. She pushed me back to my seat. Erin might be with a small frame but her strength are those of the Hippopotamus.

“Andy?” I asked while focusing the exam I have typed.

“Zac and I sent him to Erika’s, nothing to worry, he has everything in his new back pack.”

“I don’t know if I should thank you both or— you bought Andy a new back pack? I just bought him a blue one, two days ago!”

“before freaking out, Chartreuse, what backpack you bought him is too small for an overnight. And that is already old given you said that is two days ago!”  

“old?! Argh! Who had it?”

“Zachary the great”

“How I should say thank you to the two of you?” I asked being sarcastic.

“I would just say a dinner if I haven’t had earlier”

“You had dinner? With whom?” I narrowed my eyes because I already know who is he. Yes. Trust me, I know. And I am very sure.

“Zac.” Erin said plainly. I knew it. I gave her a big smile from ear to ear.

“You manage to have time with each other, ‘only each other’ and a dinner?”

“Don’t get me wrong lady! I would even counted it as formal if he didn’t shove me vegetables. And to top it all, he let me pay everything including his! The nerve of the man!!”

“What happened? He let you pay his own food? That’s not Zac, you know that if we are eating dinner out, he pays for everything.” Amused.

“he actually did, I think he is just acting nice because you are around, not with me ‘just’ around” what is this? Am I feeling a sense of sadness in Erin’s voice. “He did not even said goodbye, he just went to the bathroom and disappeared, good thing I insist that I’ll drive my own after sending dear Andy to Erik’s or else I will be forced to take the cab.” Suddenly, her phone rang, “I have to take this, Zac” pointing to her cellphone.

“Hey, Zachary Thom—“ she said, I think being cut by Zac.

“y-yes. With me.” Erin answered Zac after glancing to me.

What is happening? Did something happened to my Andy?

Zac’s and Erin’s conversation

“hey, Zac Thom—“ Erin said.

“before you shout me out of leaving you in the restaurant and letting you pay for the food I have take, listen closely, we have an emergency, I big one. Wait are you with Char?” Zac asked.

“Y-yes, with me.”

“look, I am here at Colton’s Hospital… wait are you inside the office?”

“yes.”

“which office, yours or Char’s?

“on Pediatrics.”

“mind telling me, what are you talking about that makes you very nervous, Erin, you are trying to freak me out, where’s my son?” Chartreuse interrupted.

“Zachary is trying to run out of the his past dates, asking my help, your son is still safe at Erika’s” Erin trying to cover the mouth piece of the phone, expecting that Zachary won’t hear the lame excuse she put up to divert her attention.

Erin heard Char to released a deep sighed and motioned her two thumbs up.

“Nice reason, as if I did have one girlfriend for the 5 years. Look, Erin, I am actually in front of the nurse station, the one near to where you both are. You hear the cheering earlier?”

“yes, I do” Erin answered, all confused now.

“good, now, meet me here, our fear for 5 years has finally arrived, don’t tell Char, just go hear, make some reasons to make you go, like, we are making out now.” Zac laughed even though there is a problem. Erin glanced at Char who is now busily editing the exam she is making earlier.

“Ugh! Char, I have to help Zac out, there’s a woman trying to pin him down. Posing as her fake lawyer. See you at home later,” she did some quick peck on Char’s cheek and turned her heels out.

“heading out!” she said to Zac over the phone.

“good. Because, Jared Colton will manage the hospital from now on…” Zac said while turning off the phone.