Banshee

The Banshee is usually depicted in a much similar manner to the grim reaper, although instead of a threatening stance and a weapon in hand, she seems to be mourning after a terrible loss. This depiction most likely comes from famine times.

It is believed that the Banshee's are cannibals and feast on their prey. It is said that sprinkling oats on yourself or keeping some in your pocket can ward of Banshees. A Banshee's wail can be piercing enough to shatter glass! Under no circumstances look into a Banshee's eyes, which are red from crying. The Banshee has also been known to wash the bloodstains off of clothes and is known as an omen of death. If you hear the wail of a banshee, it means that someone is going to die.

In the mid 18th century Ireland suffered from a famine which wiped out over half of its population, a woman's scream, mourning the death of a loved one was not at all an uncommon occurrence. Stories of the Banshees scream echoing through the hills followed by the death of a companion or loved one are frequently told in rural areas.

The story of the Banshee however lives on, more modern depictions of the Banshee are of a young and beautiful girl, able to change her form, and without a doubt a creature with sinister intentions. No matter what the situation, I suggest never approaching the Banshee, Fairies are known to be villains for the most part in Irish folklore.

How do you kill a Banshee?

According to legend, the Banshee is invincible, nothing being able to kill it. However, there is a way to stop the Banshee. You will have to cut its head off, and seal it inside a box. This will prevent it from wailing.