Chapter 3

"Emily come help me quickly please" mom calls while she is walking to the kitchen. Successfully she saves my ass for now and I am more than happy to oblige.

I walk to the kitchen and immediately plates and knives are placed into my hands. I walk to the dining room and avoide eye contact at all times while I am putting out the plates.

As soon as I am done, in the corner of my eye I see that Cole is about to speak to me and to my happiness, there is a knock on the door which I gladly choose to open.

"Chad!" I yell in joy as I jump into his arms for a hug. I hear him chuckle as he hugs me back "hey Em, how you been"

I sigh as he puts me down and shake my head "don't ask, you?" With a nod he steps through the door "I have been good, by the way, have you seen my parents?"

I nod "yeah, Michaela is with mom and Thomas is with dad" he thanks me with a kiss on the cheek and walks off.

Chad is Cole's older brother and also the oldest of us all, he is in college at the moment and he is also the only person who knows that I have - had a thing for Cole.

For the rest of dinner I avoid all eye contact with everyone except my parents and offer to help with everything.

After a while my phone starts to ring and I look over at mom who gives me a small nod, with a smile I stand up and excuse myself as I walk out of the house and sit on one of the many steps there are at the front door.

"What?" I hear ragid breathing and roll my eyes "Carla, what do you want?"

"Okay so, we went to that party and Mike and Jake got high before Jake got drunk and then he started to insult everyone and he then insulted Miranda who brought you up and that made Parker blow a gasket and leave. So now I am the only sober one of us and the guys won't listen to me now I need your advice on how to get them to listen" I run my hand down my face with a sigh and think about everything.

"Emily" I look up at the sound of my name and freeze in my spot when seeing Cole sitting next to me.

How?

"Heeellllpppp me Em!" I grit my teeth and Carla and shake my head "it's not my problem figure it out, if it helps I will let you know that giving Mike cheese puffs and Jake cupcakes makes them listen to anything and everything, good luck" and then I hang up and run my hands down my face.

How did I get here?

"Emily?" I look over at Cole and start to feel uncomfortable, I forgot he was here. Clearing my throat I try to jump up from my seat but he grabs my hand and I immediately pull away.

"I just want to talk" I look at the door and then at him again before sighing and sitting down. I look straight at the fountain in the middle of the driveway and wait for him to talk.

"I wanna know what we did? I mean, I lost my best friend and I have no idea why" I look over at his pleading eyes and feel my heart start to ache.

"Cole, you guys did nothing I promise"  please stop looking at me like that "then why did you leave?" I stand up again and he follows "I can't tell you that" I open the door and with a sigh he enters and I follow.

Sorry.

When I return to the table, I notice that everyone has finished their dessert and suddenly I am not in the mood to finish mine.

"Emily" my eyes shoot to my dad "please take all of your friends and and go do something, we want to sit and talk a little"

Did I forget to mention that all our parents think we are still best buddies? No? Well, they do.

I just didn't have the heart to tell them and seeing the look Cole is shooting my way, I know he is a little peeved.

I nod my head and we all stand up and I lead everyone to my room. My room is huge and it is white and black with some colour here and there.

I am absolutely obsessed with keeping it neat and tidy, so there is nothing out of place. Link and Mila take a seat on the bean bags, Sofia and Lia sit on the couch in my room and Cole stays standing by my door while leaning against the wall.

Chad stayed downstairs and at the moment I wish he hadn't because this is really awkward.

I clear my throat and sit on my bed trying to get my head straight in the silence. Until I hear a gasp and look up.

"What happened to your hands" Sofia starts to examine my blue knuckles not noticing how I am trying to pull away.

Everyone now has their eyes on my hands and I look down at my lap "I got in a small arguement with some fucked up creep"

And then it is silent again, I pull out my phone and for about twenty minutes we all sit and entertain ourselves.

"I am so sorry" I suddenly blurt and feel their eyes all on me while I look at my lap. I finally allow my emotions to take over me for the first time in a year.

"I didn't want to hurt any of you and I really didn't mean for you guys to hate me" I sniff as the tears start.

All the memories fill my mind and I can't help but feel horrible. In the blink of an eye they are all surrounding me on my bed.

"Why did you do it Emily?" I wipe away my tears and look at Cole "I can't tell you that"

Just like that all their expressions change from forgiving to closed off and they all walk to my door "please don't do this you guys" I cry out in hopes that they would just listen a bit.

"But you can walk out on us and do worse?" I feel my heart break at the amount of hate that Cole has in his eyes.

Not Cole.

Shaking my head I try to get up but I don't have the power in me. I feel a sob wrack over my body as they all stare at me "I really am sorry"

"So suddenly you want to be our friend again, don't get me wrong, you can because we love you Emily, but why?" Cole glares as he speaks and everyone nods in agreement and I shake my head again.

"Not come back, but I need you to understand that I am sorry" their faces all get angry and Cole steps forward.

He is angry as he pulls me up from my bed, his muscles flex through his white shirt and once I am on my feet he stares into my eyes "I wish you could see what they do"

I look into his green eyes confused "who?" Shaking his head he sighs again "nevermind, but I give up now Emily! I thought we could tell each other anything. Seems like I was wrong" the tears start to pour even more again as he starts walking away and they all step out my door.

Just before Cole walks away, he turns to me with a sorrow filled look. "Please" I whisper but he shakes his head and walks away.

As I watch them go, I feel like I have been shot in the heart. They don't understand that I am trying to protect them.

I am not good for them.

I slide down my wall and bring my knees to my chest as I cry.

This is what I get for letting myself feel emotion.