Chapter 27: Old Friends

I stretched stiffly, Alistair was leaning against the headboard breathing heavily. I smiled weakly and pushed up out of bed, I groaned from the aches that shot through my body, I pulled my hair into a loose bun and looked in the vanity mirror; my face was bruised along with my upper arms where Zachariah had been clutching me, a large wound sliced down my cheek and dried blood crusted around it. I grimaced, running my fingertip over the laceration.

The dress that I had loved so much was torn and muddy, the ends were stained with blood and mud splattered up along the sides. The large open sleeves that draped down were cut, one was completely gone.

I scoffed and walked out of the room, blinking quickly and trying to focus from the blinding light that washed over my face. I groaned and pulled the door shut behind me, careful to not wake Alistair; I stumbled down the hall, using the wall to steady myself.

"Good morning!" Arl Eamon smiled, walking towards me down the sloping hallway. His smiled turned to a frown when he saw my battered condition, "How are you feeling?" He asked, placing his hands softly on my shoulders and giving me a weak smile.

I shrugged and peaked over his shoulder, Cullen was sitting on a bench, blinking his eyes sleepily. "Where's the washroom?" I brought my attention back to the Arl remembering the blood that had dried on my face.

"Up the hallway and on your left," Arl Eamon gestured over his shoulder and walked past me, heading to the area that seemed to be the mess hall. I puufed out air and walked over to Cullen, plopping down on the bench loudly, he jolted awake; his expression softening when he saw me, a smiled tugging at the corner of his lips.

"Have you slept?" I asked softly, giving him a one over. Cullen sighed and rubbed his eyes.

"Not really." He admitted, resting his head on the stone wall behind us.

"We're all right. I'm all right." I smiled weakly, I wasn't really, I was in some of the worst pain I have ever been in. "Go up to bed." I said as I stood off the bench and headed up the hallway to the washroom.

I barged into the room, on the left a couple of bronze water-basins stood. I quickly washed my face off, dabbing the gash with a soft rag, blood pooled out of it as I scrubbed the crust off.

I groaned in frustration, resting my hands on the washbasin and holding my hand tight against the wound hissing at the stinging sensation. I looked up at my ravaged appearance that reflected back at me, I didn't even recognize the girl that looked back at me, scarred and bruised and wrecked  with anger against the murderer of her family.

I shook my head and washed my bloody hand off, grabbed the rag and held it against the wound. I walked out of the washroom, Wynne was standing out in the hall.

"Wynne," I called weakly, my voice was rough. Wynne turned her head towards me, raising her eyebrows. "Do you have any bandages." I said quietly, she smiled weakly and nodded walking quickly into the room and I guessed rummaged through her pack and was out in a flash.

Wynne held several salves and bandages out to me, I smiled.

"Thanks," I said quickly, taking the objects from her.

"No worries," she said weakly, she started to turn around but stopped. "Oh," She turned back to face me, "Could you tend to Alistair? With some of those supplies." She smiled, gesturing to the things in my hands, I nodded quickly. "Thank you dear." She said grandmother-like and turned on her heel, heading back to her room.

I quickly walked down the hallway and back into the large entrance hall, this estate was much different than Redcliffe, more open and ornate. I heard the Arl speaking in hushed tones to an unknown person, the voice was soft and calm, but pressing. I arched my eyebrows but ignored the conversation, heading back to Alistair's room.

I opened the door silently, peaking into the dark room. Alistair was still sleeping, he hadn't moved from the position he had been in when I had left him, he had a pained expression painted onto his face though. I frowned and sat down on the bed beside his leg, blood was coming through the bandages, if only Zachariah hadn't had done that, he was doing so much better. I gagged at the thought of him and sat the supplies on the bed, I quickly put one of the bandages on the wound on my cheek.

I peeled the large bandage of Alistair's leg, it looked better than I expected it. The gash had closed up mostly, another few days and he would be walking again. I smiled at the thought of him at my side again and quickly put the salve on the wound and wrapped the bandage tightly. Alistair hissed, I flinched and looked up slowly, his eyes were wide.

"You could've warned me." He said sarcastically, I sneered at finished wrapping the bandage. I crawled up the bed and pressed my head against his, he smiled warmly. He kissed me softly, a knock came from the door. I sighed in annoyance.

"Katria, come quickly." The Arl called from the door, his voice rushed. I jumped off the bed and out of the door not even looking at Alistair.

I walked into the throne room, Eamon was pacing the room. "It seems one of your old friends has kidnapped the king's late wife." He said, rubbing his thick grey beard.

"Old friend?" I raised my eyebrows, thinking back to everyone I had met.

Eamon darkened his gaze and closed the distance between us.

"Howe."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know this was a short chapter.. Sorry guys.. But only a few more chapters! Please tell me what you think about the story! what do you think is going to happen? What do you want to happen? Tell me(: Post in the comments please!! thank you!